AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Father's day all! :)

Canadian here living in Toronto and wanted your opinions before I pull the trigger for 2 physical subwoofers. I'm working on a budget to get I'm currently looking at the Rythmik L22, FVX12, F15HP, FVX15. Here are dimensions of my dedicated basement HT room:

15' W x 35' D x 7.5' H
80% Movies, 20% music

'Been reading a lot these past few months and I think I will go with Rythmik. I prefer the tightness of a sealed sub the reason why I'm leaning toward the dual driver L22 but a lot of people mention the flexibility of the ported subs as they also sound as musical. My goal is not to get a crazy amount of SPL but tighter and deeper bass for the 2 identical subs I'm getting.

I'm open to comments/suggestions as I plan to order in maybe 1-2 weeks time depending on availability. If there's anyone within 100 kms of Toronto who has these models and has plans of upgrading them, let me know.

Thanks in advance for your time. :)

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
You have a very large room and mostly for movies. Even the FV18 wouldn't be overkill. Get dual FV18's with the paper cone.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Dual FV15HPs (you'll want ported for mostly HT) should get you what you want to achieve, but if you can stretch the budget a little more, the FV18s that @spyboy recs is certainly the most failsafe way to go. I say this because it's always better to have more than not enough. The thought here is, you can always turn it down if you feel like it's too much, but if you need/want more, it's just not gonna be there for the taking. Think of it along the same the lines of owning a gun. It's better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it. ;)

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
With your large, concrete room and 80/20 movie/music use you should rule out the L22 and FVX12.

If your budget will accommodate 2x FV15HPs there is no doubt in my mind that is the way to go among those choices. Or you could do the FV18's if space and budget allows.

You definitely don't want to be in a situation where the choice you made turns out to not be enough, then you're stuck with return charges or worse, in a year you sell them at a great loss to "upgrade", paying more than you ever intended to by buying twice. We see it happen all the time on these forums.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With your large, concrete room and 80/20 movie/music use you should rule out the L22 and FVX12.

If your budget will accommodate 2x FV15HPs there is no doubt in my mind that is the way to go among those choices. Or you could do the FV18's if space and budget allows.

You definitely don't want to be in a situation where the choice you made turns out to not be enough, then you're stuck with return charges or worse, in a year you sell them at a great loss to "upgrade", paying more than you ever intended to by buying twice. We see it happen all the time on these forums.
Dual FV15HPs (you'll want ported for mostly HT) should get you what you want to achieve, but if you can stretch the budget a little more, the FV18s that @spyboy recs is certainly the most failsafe way to go. I say this because it's always better to have more than not enough. The thought here is, you can always turn it down if you feel like it's too much, but if you need/want more, it's just not gonna be there for the taking. Think of it along the same the lines of owning a gun. It's better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it. ;)
Interesting the responses @spyboy, @d-rail34, @Soulburner so much appreciated.

Even for room this size - I forgot to mention I have a single SVS dual 12 inch ported sub (pb12 plus/2) that I barely set gain past 10 o'clock. It's great for what it does unfortunately SVS don't sell this model anymore so I cannot buy another one to balance out the room.

I'm trying to work on a budget for 2 subs I'm getting and I'd rather have them almost max out (say 80-90%) of their capabilities than get more powerful subs whose power I will not maximize anyway. I could get SVS here in Canada but I think they're now overpriced and also would really want to get servo controlled subs this time. I'm not in a rush and could delay purchase longer if/as needed while listening to feedback.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with everyone above...dual FV15HP minimum for that space.

Side note, Gain level is not a indicator of subwoofer performance. So a 10:00 setting doesn't mean much especially for comparing subwoofer output capability.
Yeah, I'm might consider getting dual 15s minimum as well and it's going to increase extra thousand I think.

I understand gain level not being an indicator of performance but for an SVS subwoofer this size (and my AVR which I vary from -5 to 0 db) 10 o'clock is already way too hot for my preference (distortion free of course). :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Interesting the respoea single SVS dual 12 inch ported sub (pb12 pls/2) that I barely set gain past 10 o'clock. It's great for what it does unfortunately SVS don't sell this model anymore so I cannot buy another one to balance out the room.

I'm trying to work on a budget for 2 subs I'm getting and I'd rather have them almost max out (say 80-90%) of their capabilities than get more powerful subs whose power I will not maximize anyway. I could get SVS here in Canada but I think they're now overpriced and also would really want to get servo controlled subs this time. I'm not in a rush and could delay purchase longer if/as needed while listening to feedback.[/QUOTE]

Ok, if you have decided you need 2 subs, but the existing sub is way more then you need, what are you really asking? My recommendation is to get 2 real 12" subs minimum, 15" recommended" and get to playing some noise! 😉

1 - 8 of 8 Posts