AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in Forest Hills (Queens) and have recently acquired an HDTV monitor (Unity Motion UHD-3200/Princeton Graphics AF3.0HD). i am now looking into the options for getting HDTV signals, which at this point seem to be cable (Time/Warner or RCN), STB, or via my HTPC (HiPix/AccessDTV). my main questions for those people in the area who have HDTV now are:

1) is it possible to receive OTA HDTV signals in Queens? or must one resort to cable/DBS?

2) if OTA is possible, can one get decent reception using an indoor antenna (e.g. Silver Sensor or like product) in an area that is not densely populated with large apartment buildings (in fact, my area is mostly townhouses)?

3) in the case of HDTV signals transmitted by cable companies, will either a STB or a HTPC solution be able to receive transmissions WITHOUT a cable converter?

thanks very much in advance...

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
You should certainly be able to receive WCBS-DT (56) from the Empire State building using any HDTV tuner/decoder. With a large antenna and perhaps an amplifier, you might pick up signals from N.J. or elsewhere. I won't mention a few stations that offer DTV but not HDTV.

Time Warner Cable here provides CBS, HBO, and Showtime currently, having lost PBS, NBC, and ABC HDTV pickkups from the WTC. Believe there's a long waiting list for cable converters (450, last I heard), but suggest you call Bob Watson's office at 212 598 7363 to sign up. A few NYC forum members said they'd recently received a 2000HD converter. -- John

·
Registered
292 Posts
Quote:
1) is it possible to receive OTA HDTV signals in Queens? or must one resort to cable/DBS?
Right now you can get OTA HDTV from CBS(1080i), FOX(480p), UPN(480p?) and possibly a PBS station in Brooklyn(I can't get it in Nassau Co). Before 9-11, ABC, NBC, WB & PBS where available also. Hopefully they will be back soon.

Quote:
2) if OTA is possible, can one get decent reception using an indoor antenna (e.g. Silver Sensor or like product) in
Success may vary, but I would think 'YES'. I was able to receive CBS and FOX from a small Terk antenna (I would think the Silver Sensor would be better) before I installed my rooftop. I am in eastern Nassau County.

Quote:
3) in the case of HDTV signals transmitted by cable companies, will either a STB or a HTPC solution be able to
I don't think so. I believe you need the TWC STB to get their signal, BUT there may be a HTPC card that can get it also. (No other STBs that I know of)

Hope this helps,

Joe

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think cbs is the only signal you can get from time warner using a generic STB or HTPC card.

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeCraw

I don't think so. I believe you need the TWC STB to get their signal, BUT there may be a HTPC card that can get it also. (No other STBs that I know of)

Hope this helps,

Joe

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
In Queens you can get CBS-HD without TWC's box since it's also being sent in 8VSB format down the pipe. Just connect the cable to any OTA STB, set it to AIR, and you'll find CBS-HD on channel 46.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, from the info you all have provided, it sounds like it's worth the effort... and since, at least from the reception point-of-view, it doesn't seem as though there is any difference between an HTPC and an STB solution, i think i'll opt for an STB with satellite capability... in case i someday move into a building that will let me put the dish up ;)

thanks a lot to all of you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.