AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So How does the DC-1 compare to the DC-2 and MC-1?

I am under the impression that the DC-1 and the DC-2 are very similar and the change from -1 to -2 was for a newer chip set inside and a few other minor changes. The change in the DC-2 to the MC-1 was in the amount of and Quality of the Video inputs.

Is this right or was I misinformed?

How bad is the Video switching quality on the DC's?

I am more interested in HT over Music. 70/30

Is the Lex a good choice?

I'm still shopping for speakers but will more than likely get Monitor Audio 9i's and accompanying surround set up. For amp's I'm really not sure I want a "warmer" sound and like Anthem and Rotel.

If I left any thing out that will hider you bestowment of knowledge let me know and thanks for all your help and advice

Jake

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"I am under the impression that the DC-1 and the DC-2 are very similar and the change from -1 to -2 was for a newer chip set inside and a few other minor changes."

The DC-2 has newer DACs and maybe a little bit different analog stage then the DC-1 as well as more digital and video inputs. I think there are other minor changes like the trigger is higher current on the DC-2. If you are looking at a DC-1 make sure it has enough video and digital inputs for your application.

If the DC-1 is running v4 software it is the latest and is identical to v4 software on a DC-2 and MC-1.

"How bad is the Video switching quality on the DC's? "

By all accounts it is pretty good. Doesn't have component of course.

"Is the Lex a good choice? "

Yup. I've seen fully loaded v4 DD/DTS DC-1s going for under $1000 which is a steal IMO.

Shawn

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shawn -

Thanks for the reply

You wouldn't happen to know how may Video inputs the DC-1 has would you? I was assuming it was the same as the DC-2 with 5.

Where have you seen the DC-1's under $1000? I am looking at one in that price range but like to have more options when available.

Thanks again

Jake

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Jake,

"You wouldn't happen to know how may Video inputs the DC-1 has would you? I was assuming it was the same as the DC-2 with 5. "

I just double checked. It is 5 composite but only 3 of them are also S-video.

"Where have you seen the DC-1's under $1000? I am looking at one in that price range but like to have more options when available. "

I've seen a couple under that price on audiogon and/or audioweb. Also keep an eye on e-bay.

Lexicon still has their DC-1 info online at:

http://www.lexicon.com/DC1/index.html

if it helps. You can download the manuals and such there.

Shawn

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Shawn

Only three S-Video inputs kinda sucks but I'll make due if I can get it for the right price.

Do you know if there are any dedicated video switchers that are of decent quality and don't cost an arm and a leg? It would preferably have component as well as S- video.

Thanks

Jake

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Jake,

"Only three S-Video inputs kinda sucks but I'll make due if I can get it for the right price. "

Also keep in mind the Lexicon can covert from S-video to composite but not the other way around.

"Do you know if there are any dedicated video switchers that are of decent quality and don't cost an arm and a leg? It would preferably have component as well as S- video. "

Never really looked into it, sorry.

Shawn

·
Registered
167 Posts
Basic 4 S-vid switcher. Great folks to do business with:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=180-932&DID=7

Higher end/priced composite/s-vid switcher, option component switching. I always throught MSBTech was to high on stuff, but decent quality.

http://www.msbtech.com (manufacturer)

You might also try:

http://www.marketek.com (I think that's how it's spelled, no time to check that link)

As far as a DC-1,2,MC-1. I have owned a DC-1 and current MC-1

Video switching is of acceptable quality on the former, but broadcast quality on the latter. Audio is smoother and more detailed on the MC-1, and the MC-1 outshines the DC-1 predecessor for 2 channel audio. From a functional standpoint, the DC-1 does most things right, and is a good processor. But if you want just a cut above, go the MC-1. I have no DC-2 experience. But technically, not to much different than the DC-1, I don't think.

Lex

CATCables.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lex

Thanks for the info I will look in these switchers.

I hate all my indecision over equipment. At some point I will just have to make a decision, and I know that what ever I get will sound far better than my 8 year old Sony receiver. I'd love to find an MC-1 for under $2000 but I doubt it will happen any time soon and A friend pointed out the DC-1 So I thought I would do some checking and see how it compared. Not perfect but for around $1000 and with a decent Amp it will sound just as good or better than some of the other stuff I've been looking at

thanks again

Jake

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
"I'd love to find an MC-1 for under $2000 but I doubt it will happen any time soon ..."

Under $2000 for an MC-1? Probably not, unless it doesn't have V4 of the software and were in fair or worse condition. Somewhat over $2000, say $2200-$2400? Possible, especially if someone missed the trade-in period for the MC-12 and/or they found a good deal on it that didn't allow for a trade-in.

Stay tuned and wait for the MC-12/MC-12B trade-in periods to expire. You then might be able to get an MC-1 for a very good deal.

Michael

·
Registered
401 Posts
Jake,

The DC-2 is sonically identical to the MC-1. The spec's may be different but the real-world sound is the same. It doesn't have broadcast quality video switching or the same amount of connection options but for the price you're looking for, you should be able to find one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Michael

Yeah it is wishful thinking but they had a thread about a week ago and they had DC-2's for $1500 and MC-1's for $2000 but it came as a surprise and I couldn't take advantage of it. The seller mentioned another round of trade ins for the MC-12 coming in November so hopefully I can take advantage then.

Here's the
thread

( I hope it work's haven't done it before)

With them all being sonically the same it comes to wether I want to pay for the video switching or not

jake

·
Registered
29,528 Posts
Quote:
...they had DC-2's for $1500 and MC-1's for $2000 but it came as a surprise and I couldn't take advantage of it.
Hang in there Jake. The MC-12 trade-in program ends today, and the MC-12B trade-in program starts tomorrow, 11/1/01. If you're not in a big rush to get the processor, I think the opportunity to get a DC-2 or MC-1 at a great price will present itself again pretty shortly.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
750 Posts
The Lexicon's are ok if you want a dated piece of crap... (laughs) Jake will get the joke... Consider before anyone flames me that I own a DC-1... If you buy one, I'll never stop laughing (I'm laughing now hysterically)... Seriously, you can't go wrong with the Lex's (as if we have not spoken at length about this subject before) they are good to great for 2 channel and for multi-channel music and home theater, they are the best... Since you are more concerned with home theater, I think you have found your processor.

"The Enterprise will destroy the Millenium Falcon!" (laughs)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sanjay

Thanks for the info I think I will hang in there and see what happens after this round of trade in's.

Bob

You get one after this vengence will be mine:p

Later,

Jake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.