AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would start a thread about ESPN's game tonight. I however sadly report that I will be watching the game via Time Warner Cable. Be that I am a TWC customer I will not be watching in HD. The local TWC tried to work out a single game preview of ESPN-HD. ESPN however declined, as they should had. Just curious about the image quality versus CBS (which we do get). Thanks

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Seems as if this thread hasn't seen much "action" so I'll jump in.

CBS's college game tonight seemed to look very good, I was pleased to see SEC in HDTV, ESPECIALLY since I live in Florida (Gators).

ESPN-HD's coverage of the Tennesee game looked MUCH better tonight than it did last sunday for SNF. I was very pleased to see the detail in the picture that it deserves. Tennessee has those bright orange uniforms and So. Carolina has the white on red uniforms. The color in the jerseys were just about perfect. The lack of detail in the Vols uniforms (numbers on jersey) was only due to the fact that the contrast of orange and white isn't that far apart, they are both vibrant colors. The jerseys for the Gamecocks were nearly perfect, you could see the numbers on the jerseys very clearly, even from distant shots.

You say you're getting ESPN-HD via TWC, I was watching via D*. Hope this gives you a glimpse of what's to come and what to expect. As long as you aren't sitting 3' from your TV or notice EVERY SINGLE PQ flaw, you'll be very happy for what you have in "store". Enjoy Playmakers as well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The colors did look very good tonight, but I must disagree as far as detail goes. Yes you could see the numbers on the jersey's, but the names on the back of the jersey,s were not legiable on the longer shots. I also remember being able to see the fans faces better on long shots. Overcompressed here on my D* system.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Except for the edge enhancement--- beautiful. I thought the Tenn jerseys were greatly detailed== you could see the fine grain in the texture of the jersey... it was almost like being there, and trust me, I know what a Tenn football game should look like. Also, saw no compression artifacts to speak of- DirecTV here.

Andrew

·
Registered
551 Posts
I was watching on D* and thought it looked great! It was much better than last Sunday. No compression artifacts seen, but i was flipping between 2 football games and the boxing on HBO.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was watching the Arkansas- Alabama game last night in HD on CBS OTA and switched to the ESPN HD Tennesse-South Carolina game on Directv, and I thought that the detail was much better in the CBS game. It was more noticeable to me when projected with the D-ILA onto a 130" diagonal screen.

Larry

·
Registered
29 Posts
No doubt in my mind that the CBS HD game looks a lot better. ESPN shoots from too far away. The CBS game makes me feel like I am in the stadium. ESPN, take notes on what CBS does.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I disagree with those of you who give CBS the huge edge over this particular ESPN production. Having the opportunity to flip between the two games was quite revealing. They were IMO very comparable in terms of picture detail, and yes I have a very large screen over 100 inches myself.

I will tell you what makes ESPNHD shine.... get you a native 720p display being fed a pixel perfect signal via DVI. Trust me, it takes it to the next level. I was dissapointed in ESPNHD, too until I went with the pixel perfect DVI setup.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thought it looked nice except for the unending crawl. It's a crime against HD. Time to fire off another email to ESPN.

-Reagan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.