AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a number of posts from user's who have had a tuner fail in their Sony UTV. A few questions:

Were your UTV's still under warranty? (Parts and/or Labor)?

If not, what were the charges to replace the tuner?

Question for anyone who has been "in the box": Is the tuner a drop in card that can be replaced by someone comfortable with working inside a computer? (At the rate these things seem to fail I just might buy another UTV for $29 just for parts.)

Interesting "feature" in 3.5 - I can tell exactly when the tuner failed. Under "My Shows" > "History" UTV shows numerous entries of "Tuners Changed" as the tuner began to fail. (out for 10 sec, back on for 5 min, out for 45 sec, on again, etc.)

(Note - yes it is a bad tuner, switching inputs still resulted in Tuner One failing)

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Sony UTV went bad within two weeks. I sent it away for repair and it's on it's way back now. It took three weeks total.

As for your idea of buying another for parts it's a good one, but you would have to find a way around the activation agreement.

BTW, I also have an RCA which I have had no problems with at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can activate the new one and save the old one as a back-up.

Yes, I actually bought my first UTV over a year ago at the (now) outrageous price of $400. (Early adopter penalty - but I did get the second for $29.)

M Q

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.