AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased this item and not really sure that I am happy with it - perhaps my expectations are too high.

1. Image quality at full screen (on 19" Trinitron Monitor) is not comparable to same image on a standard tv. Monitor is set at 1024 x 768 - 16 bit color. At less than full screen image quality is better.

2. I get occasional picture "judder" - seems like it is skipping frames - is this due to USB connection or a fault of the card?

3. Audio is slightly muddled at times.

4. Is "dscaler" something I can use with this?

5. I decided on the USB version as I wanted to avoid IRQ conflicts with my network card (which I will use in the future for a DSL connection - not using right now).

6. Is this a good product or are there better solutions available - just want to use mainly for watching tv on computer monitor - may eventually get into some video editing - transferring camcorder tapes to VCD.

Any comments and answers greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Bruce

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
1. Image quality at full screen (on 19" Trinitron Monitor) is not comparable to same image on a standard tv. Monitor is set at 1024 x 768 - 16 bit color. At less than full screen image quality is better.

Normal for TV cards.

2. I get occasional picture "judder" - seems like it is skipping frames - is this due to USB connection or a fault of the card?

Probably. PCI has higher bandwidth and even then stutters may happen.

3. Audio is slightly muddled at times.

Normal. Try using external audio through receiver. Best way is to use a VCR for a tuner and audio output into receiver.

4. Is "dscaler" something I can use with this?

Nope. Only PCI cards (list available in FAQ) are supported.

5. I decided on the USB version as I wanted to avoid IRQ conflicts with my network card (which I will use in the future for a DSL connection - not using right now).

If you want higher, smoother image quality better get a PCI capture card with Svideo input and use SVHS VCR for external tuner and audio via receiver. Iomagic PVR is a $40 PCI card that's gotten good reviews here and works well with Dscaler. Even the $10 Cybertainment will work better than the USB and is supported by Dscaler. KBK is modding Zoltrix capture cards and selling them for $130 with great results.

6. Is this a good product or are there better solutions available - just want to use mainly for watching tv on computer monitor - may eventually get into some video editing - transferring camcorder tapes to VCD.

Better get Dscaler compatible PCI capture card and SVHS VCR for tuner or other Svideo sources (digital cable, satellite) and use Dscaler. Composite will work too but not as good quality.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huey - thanks for the info - are there ways around IRQ conflicts between a PCI card and my network card?

Again, thanks for the response.

Bruce

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.