AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a motherboard (Neo-K85) that has an S/PDIF output. I don't have a receiver for my computer (it's upstairs). I'd like to decode the S/PDIF, but I don't want to spend a lot of $$ ($200+) on another receiver just to decode and amplify the audio from my computer. I have seen the Logitech Z680 speaker set which can accept the S/PDIF and decode it, but I already have speakers in the wall and don't need the actual speakers, just the decoder. And besides, those speakers are $200 anyway. I find it hard to believe there is not some $50 decoder/amp out there. Does anybody know any options for me? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts
Look for a used DAC. Something like an AudioAlchemy or MSB from a few years back.

Kal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Any model numbers you could recommend?

I will check eBay. Any other sources? Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I'm confused, you want an external decoder that will take a coax/toslink spdif output from your computer and decode it into the 6 requisite analog channels is this correct? If so, then I'd be interested to know what the DITB or the Link have to offer in this respect, I looked at some pictures and they only have stereo analog outputs. Am I missing something?

The only devices I know of that do what you are wanting on the cheap for a HTPC scenario is the Creative Labs DDTS-100 and the Klipsch Promedia DD-5.1.

Please enlighten me as this could spare me some CPU cycles.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts
Nobody said anything about 6 channels and what S/PDIF conveys is 2channel. The referred to DACs will handle this. If one needs DD and/or DTS in addition to stereo, then one needs a processor. These cost more.

Kal

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
@Kal:

treyj mentioned the Logitech Z680s which has a built in DD/DTS/PL decoder/processor, that was my cue. If 2 channel audio was the go then they wouldn't be looking at the Z680s, just a thought.

@Dooshik:

A software decoder would output via Analog not spdif. A software encoder would output via spdif but would require a hardware decoder on the receiving end.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
30,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hdkhang
@Kal:

treyj mentioned the Logitech Z680s which has a built in DD/DTS/PL decoder/processor, that was my cue. If 2 channel audio was the go then they wouldn't be looking at the Z680s, just a thought.
If you say so. I've never heard of these. Perhaps I shouldn't post in the HTC forum. ;-)

Kal

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
@Kal

Noooo don't do that... I like people who are well versed in many of the subforums... as I don't want to concentrate only on one aspect of the home theatre. Besides, I could be totally wrong. :)

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've been looking into the roll-your-own possibilities:

DAC

They run $100 - $150 and are fairly well regarded. Unfortunately they only offer coax input, but I guess you could use a toslink/coax adapter.

widman

·
Registered
30,800 Posts
Considering the associated equipment, buying a used MSB or AA DAC will do the job easier and cheaper.

Kal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info. It seems that the kind of thing I was looking for exists in speaker sets, like the aforementioned ones from Logitech and Klipsch. I was just hoping for a separate unit instead of ones that come with speakers. Just to be clear, the motherboard has only the analog coax S/PDIF output, not TOSLink. I'll have to look around for a cheap receiver; it seems like ones that have S/PDIF usually start around $200. Thanks again, all (any additional comments are appreciated).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.