AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That S/PIDIF interface has to be one of the most confusing things ever, eh?

Anyway, I bought a SB Audigy rather than an SB Live5.1 to complete an HTPC, because it supported 96KHz S/PDIF rather than the SB Live's 48KHz.

1. Does that make any difference with Power DVD4.0 XP where I'm using my Yamaha receiver to decode the dolby digital/ DTS?

2. I got the suprise of my life when I unplugged the S/PDIF cable from the DVDROM Drive when playing a DVD, and the sound was still there! I had been fiddling around trying to feed the S/PDIF directly from the DVD drive to the Yamaha receiver, to bypass the sound card alltogether, but find that there's no information coming out of there. So is there any way to have the DD/DTS sound come out of the S/PDIF port of the DVD ROM drive instead of (or as well as) being embedded in the IDE cable data?

Thanks,

Keith

P.S. Running WinXP.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hard_eng

That S/PIDIF interface has to be one of the most confusing things ever, eh?
Not really. It's a simple one-way serial interface. Now if you want to look at a confusing interface, read the USB spec. :)

Quote:
Anyway, I bought a SB Audigy rather than an SB Live5.1 to complete an HTPC, because it supported 96KHz S/PDIF rather than the SB Live's 48KHz.
It must support the "optional" bit-exact mode that AC-97 specifies. I don't know this for sure tho.

Quote:
1. Does that make any difference with Power DVD4.0 XP where I'm using my Yamaha receiver to decode the dolby digital/ DTS?
Where...meaning what? To have your receiver decode the bitstream, you have to feed it via s/pdif, either coax or optical.

gluck,

-anders

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply. I've got it all working, and it sounds great, but I just wondered if the 96KHz sampling capability of the Audigy had any benefit over the 48KHz of the SBLive in this configuration.

Also, is it possible to get the Dolby Digital /DTS bit stream to come out of the S/PDIF of the DVDROM directly, instead of going through just about every other chip in the PC.

Keith

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hard_eng

Also, is it possible to get the Dolby Digital /DTS bit stream to come out of the S/PDIF of the DVDROM directly, instead of going through just about every other chip in the PC.

Keith
No, it is not. The S/PDIF on the DVDROM is only used to output linear PCM format from Audio CD's.

The DD/DTS bitstream from DVD video is actually embedded in a file on the DVD disc itself. It is necessary to extract the bitstream from the file using DVD playing software - this is then passed through the soundcard output.

The DVDROM itself is just reading a file, it does not know about the embedded audio bitstream within that file.

Regards

Cam

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, OK, so the S/PIDIF from the DVD Drive can't be used. Thanks for clearing that up.

The only other piece of the puzzzle then: do all soundcards pass through all of the DD/DTS info to their S/PDIF output? Andersbk thought that the "optional" bit-exact mode that AC-97 specifies might not be passed through on some. Anyone have more insight into that? (Especially for the SB Augigy :)

So basically, what is the difference in the data content from a DVD player's Coax (or optical) out compared to any given soundcard's S/PDIF out? Are they identical?

Thanks,

Keith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.