Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here,

I went HDTV shopping yesterday. I am looking at the Mitsubishi 55859 with intergrated HDTV. They had the the Mitsubishi DVHS recorder connected to the TV thru the firewire port.

I had them play a video tape I had made on my JVC S-VHS recorder. It was recorder at SP in S-VHS on good tape and recorder from a High quality source (MPEG DVD satellite). Otherwords of excellent quality. The best I have.

It looked terrible! Worse than a EP recording on regular VHS from a poor signal.

Is this what I am to expect with HDTV or was there something else wrong?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
My experience matches yours. It's like looking at a jpeg image forced into a larger size. Given what the components are trying to accomplish, poor image quality is not really surprising. VHS and even S-VHS won't cut it for large displays that are free of scan lines. Recorders are beginning to change to meet the demands of display equipment though. Check out the forum on HDTV recorders.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Anything larger than a direct view 36" will not be able to display a watchable VHS/SVHS signal. However, the JVC D-VHS deck does do a good job of cleaning up SVHS for RPTV's. Some say they are watchable on that deck.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I am using the Samsung T150 and the component video on my Panny 47" is amazing but when I pass the T150 simultaneous s-video signal through my Tivo it loses quite a bit even at "best" quality. Several people have said this is as good as s-video recording gets and so it appears to be the basic problem of stretching the picture out. But an s-video of OTA HD is still much better than SD via cable on the Panny.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The doubler in the Mits sets does wacky things to analog video, particularly in 4:3 squeeze mode. They downsample the chroma for some reason so solid reds and other colors look blocky. The Mits doubler just sucks.

My JVC S9800 SVHS deck looks awesome on my Pioneer Pro520HD. Almost as good as the MPEG2/DVB signals I make some of the recoridngs from.

It's not the tape, nor is it the DVHS deck, I'd bet money on that.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I watch SVHS off-air tapes on a 50" RPTV display (Barco Retrographics 801s) and they look fine. Recorder is JVC HR-S9500. Signal is processed via a Vigatec Dune using considerable amounts of detail enhancement and noise reduction, and a small amount of horizontal edge enhancement.

In short, if you do everything right, it's possible to blow up an SVHS picture to 50" and enjoy the result.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
It is the doubler on the Mits that is the problem. If you are going to be watching S-VHS movies I sugest you go with a Pioneer or a Toshiba HD set. They have way better doublers than the MIts.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I get very satisfactory results with my JVC 7800 S-VHS and Mits. 55857 as long as I don't use the TV's "narrow" (4:3) mode. The Mits. "narrow" mode is just plain crappy.

Jay

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went back to the store with my JVS HR-S7600 and with a S-VHS tape record in SP and A tape in EP and connected to the same MITSUBISHI 55819 using a S-Video wire.

It looked a WHOLE lot better than the Mit DVHS Vcr connected with Firewire but, it still looked bad.

The SP tape was grainy and smeared but watchable. The EP was a lot worse and included something I can only describe as a micro pixilation noise.

This has nixed my desire for a MITSUBISHI TV even though I need the Firewire port for HDTV recording.

The 55859 has some great features but, if the picture is bad so what. A good picture does seem to be the point.

The price was right and they seemed to need to make a sale but, I just could not buy it.

I went to another dealer and tried the same setup on a SHARP 55WRP5H.

I was very impressed. Nice picture! There was a little noised but smooth. It is what I would expect with the higher resolution it is capable to show.

It has less feature, no firewire, no HDTV, cost more, some known quality issues, no interest free financing, less services provided but, it out performed the MITS hands down.

Not sure what I am going to do at this point. I may look for a Pioneer but, it will cost even more and still no firewire.

I have to say don't just look at the HDTV content or DVD content they show in the showroom. Bring you own stuff and try it out first.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
wmacarter,

Were you using the Tv's "narrow" mode? If so, I can understand your concern. However, if you are getting this bad of a picture in standard mode then there is definitely something wrong with that particular TV. A well calibrated Mits. TV is hard to beat. You should go visist
***************.com . There is a tremendous amount of knowledge regarding the Mits. sets at that site. They also have some pretty good info on other brands also. I noticed they started using new forum software today, so there might be some problems with the forums. What is your primary source for this TV going to be, Directv, Dish, digital cable, etc.? With the satellite sources you never need to use the Mits. line double anyway because the STB converts to a progressive signal. If you are like most people with 16x9 HDTVs you will probably find that you very rarely watch VHS. In over a year I have only watched a handful of VHS tapes. Good luck with your selection and let me know if you have any specific questions regarding the Mits.

Jay

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wmacarter
Hello, new here,

I went HDTV shopping yesterday. I am looking at the Mitsubishi 55859 with intergrated HDTV. They had the the Mitsubishi DVHS recorder connected to the TV thru the firewire port.

I'm wondering if that DVHS recorder has a set of component outputs. I would think that an analog source tape would look best that way. Otherwise the playback circuitry I would assume is having to run the off tape signal through an MPEG encoder before outputting it to firewire, whereupon it must then again be decoded in the TV. Seems like a bunch of un-necessary overhead.

Then again - as for the S-VHS connections, when I compare such things as the on-screen menus of my STB in S-VHS mode vs. component HD mode - the HD is razor sharp, but the S is quite smeary. Its just an inherent limitation of S-VHS in particular. Sure, its better than NTSC, but only because it doesnt have to combine the chroma and luminance signals and then re-split them in the reciever. That way, there in no inherent need to bandwidth limit the luminance channel, although the chroma channel is still inherently limited to about 500 kHz bw. So with S video, you still get a bunch of extra bandpass filtering in the display and in the recording and playback process.

Finally you have to consider the inherent bandwidth limitations of analog VHS encoding, this being design owing to the chroma-luminance frequency allocations on tape. Still I would think that if the off tape signal can be made into component signals as early as possible in the player, instead of passing that onto the display - then that ought to provide the best possible analog playback, just as the output of a component DVD player can be so much better than an S-video signal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.