AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my DVD player connected to the S-Video input of my ATI All In Wonder, it does an amazing job at deinterlacing and increasing the quality, would I get I get any improvement by connecting the DVD player directly to my projector by component? I don't think the projector has a very good deinterlacer, so am I getting better quality with S-Video to my PC for deinternlacing and upscaling? If all else was the same, is the a difference between 480i by S-Video vs. 480i by component?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
The major difference between S-video and component interconnection is the quality of the chroma connection. S-video uses the same sub-carrier based chroma encoding system as composite, with the bandwith limitation and dot crawl issues that composite suffers from. (The major benefit of s-video over composite is that the luma and chroma are carried on separate wires so can't interfere with each other - though they are still carried in the same format as composite)

Component connections should give you a wider bandwith chroma signal - so colour detail should bleed less, and also should be cleaner and not suffer from the "crawl" you get with composite.

These benefits may be offset by a poor de-interlacer in your projector I guess - if you can borrow a set of component leads (if you don't have them and don't want to waste money buying them and finding they don't help) why not try!

(In the UK there are RGB / Component analogue input cards for HTPCs - that mean you can still use your PC for video capture and scaling. Sweetspot is the one I've heard most of, they also do an SDI digital version)

·
23,031 Posts
Depending on your DVD player, there's a good chance you'll get better deinterlacing with the DVD player and component video is better than s-video. I'm guessing you are using the PC for 1:1 pixel mapping to the PJ? You also don't say how you are connecting the PC to PJ. Try the different combinations, if possible, and use the one the looks best to you.

larry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.