AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone quantify and explain the difference in image quality on an SX21 projecting a DVD output 1) using an S-video cable and 2) using the DVI.

Obviously the DVI output will be much better than the S-video, but I'm wondering by what order of magnitude...

Thanks,

- Tom

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Penman
Can someone quantify and explain the difference in image quality on an SX21 projecting a DVD output 1) using an S-video cable and 2) using the DVI.

Obviously the DVI output will be much better than the S-video, but I'm wondering by what order of magnitude...

Thanks,

- Tom
DVI digital native compared to 480i S-video? I would say all but totally unwatchable compared to near pristine. There should not even be a lowly S-video or composite input included on DILA projectors.

S-video is analog with color and luminance info separate. It is 480i only and goes through a digital to analog to digital then through scalier to be displayed. DVI is a direct digital interface.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by William
DVI digital native compared to 480i S-video? I would say all but totally unwatchable compared to near pristine. There should not even be a lowly S-video or composite input included on DILA projectors.
I agree with William.

Why get a nice projector like a D-ILA and then feed it an S-video signal?

It would be like listening to old scratched LPs on a state of the art stereo.

·
Registered
27,095 Posts
Ditto.

I run my LD thru my S-Video. Never tried DVD. It is poor on LD.

A nice SDI or DVI source is pretty nice. State of the art for DVD and DILA.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, gentlemen; that was the kind of explanation I was looking for.

I guess I should have made it clear that I'm using S-video ONLY because my DVI cable has not yet arrived from AVS. :)

- Tom

·
Registered
83 Posts
My understanding is that the SX21 does NOT have HDCP-complaint DVI. What DVD player are you going to use that outputs DVI without HDCP?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have the same question, although I read recently that there was some ruling by the FCC that dis-allowed HDCP for OTA?

If I buy the SX21 today will I be SOL if HDCP is implemented?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Bravo D1 and all of the other DVI-enabled DVD players only work with HDCP-enabled DVI inputs. At least, that is what I understood. Am I wrong? I have the Momitsu, and the manual says that the TV/projector must be HDCP -compliant.

On the other hand, maybe that is only the case when you have the DVD player output an upscaled 720p or 1080i via DVI. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by misterfan
The Bravo D1 and all of the other DVI-enabled DVD players only work with HDCP-enabled DVI inputs. At least, that is what I understood. Am I wrong? I have the Momitsu, and the manual says that the TV/projector must be HDCP -compliant.

On the other hand, maybe that is only the case when you have the DVD player output an upscaled 720p or 1080i via DVI. Anyone know for sure?
The Bravo D1 doesn't require HDCP - which is why so many people on AVS are interested in it, because they have DVI sets without HDCP.

There are other DVI DVD players which _do_ require HDCP.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I have the SX21 and the Bravo D1 and it works outputting both 720p and 1080i via DVI into the non-compliant DVI input.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
No use my being ignorant without showing it:

Why would HDCP be an issue for DVD? Why would a company pony up the licensing money for HDCP for dvd that already has content protection and is only 480i? I guess I am missing something here. Please let me know. Art

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by misterfan
At least, that is what I understood. Am I wrong? I have the Momitsu, and the manual says that the TV/projector must be HDCP -compliant.
I have a Momitsu V880 also and it is interesting that the manual says it is HDCP compliant, yet it doesn't seem to be. Others here have confirmed that the 720p and 1080i outputs over digital (DVI-D) will work with projectors that have DVI without HDCP. Maybe they just put it in the manual to protect themselves.

--Darin

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Art -

Because the DVD consortium's rules for producinng DVD players require HDCP be applied to DVI signals from any CSS encrypted DVD (in other words, pretty much any commercial title).

BB

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have an SX21 and a bravo d1 hooked up through dvi as well as a Sony Progressive Scan. I cannot see any difference in the picture in my opinion. I was using Men In Black II and U571 to compare the two dvd players.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.