AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up Toshiba 32av500U at Costco for the bedroom. I am connecting it to an older (3-4 yo) Direct TV satelitte box. There is not a connection for HDMI on the cable box. If I just connect the standard coaxial cable or a standard A/v cable I can get color. When I try to connect it using the S-video cable the picture only comes through in black and white. Same situation when I connect a DVD player using the S-video, no color. I have tried two different S-video cords with the same result. Am I doing somethig wrong or do I have a bad s-video connection on the tv?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twestrope /forum/post/14329942

I just picked up Toshiba 32av500U at Costco for the bedroom. I am connecting it to an older (3-4 yo) Direct TV satelitte box. There is not a connection for HDMI on the cable box. If I just connect the standard coaxial cable or a standard A/v cable I can get color. When I try to connect it using the S-video cable the picture only comes through in black and white. Same situation when I connect a DVD player using the S-video, no color. I have tried two different S-video cords with the same result. Am I doing somethig wrong or do I have a bad s-video connection on the tv?

Why aren't you using Component RGB? It makes no sense to be using S-Video today as I cannot believe you'd have a box that lacks component.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
S-video has four pins, two for Y (luminance and ground) and two for C (color and ground). The C pins might be bent, or damaged, or the socket in your TV might be damaged, either one of which will give you a B&W signal.

Or it could be a matter of settings on the TV.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Either both your cables are bad, your TV is bad, or your set-top box is bad. Try connecting your box to another TV and if it works using those cables then you know it is the TV. Keep switching things until you figure out what is the problem, you know using that scientific method they taught you in school.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts