AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently repurposed an old machine as my HTPC test machine. I purchased a Sis 315 video card for the time being until I replace my main machine's ATI 8500 and move that to the HTPC. Well the problem is not the Sis card, it seems to be doing very well, with one exception.

When using s-video and displaying a black background, there are random bright rolling lines. They are not a huge problem because they are sporatic and somewhat hard to notice but they do pop up every now and then and they slowly creep up the screen. Then to dissapear. They are very easy to see during divx movies and the sort. However, here is the odd thing. They do not occur during DVD playback. Just wondering if anyone had an idea. I am going to try the newest drivers I can find, but other than that I have not had any luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sounds to me like it could be a grounding or shielding problem. What is the display device? How far away? Is it on the same power circuit?

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The display is a Samsung 30" direct view HDTV. The computer sits next to it - about one foot away, and yes, they are on the same surge protector. Should I move the CPU or TV plug to a different surge protector? Or could it be the S-Video cable itself? I was thinking of picking up a new cable this evening to give it a shot.

And a correction about the problem. It does occur during DVD playback. It seems that during my first test everything was perfect, and this problem was not occuring. Later in the afternoon I played another DVD and the problem did happen.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Don't know if this will be helpful, but sometimes CRTs placed too close together can intefere with one another. Maybe through the power supply or beat frequency from HV transformer. Have you tried shutting one or the other off?

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only have the TV hooked up to the machine. The nearest monitor is about 30 feet away.

Here is where I am at. I have switched surge protectors, run the TV and Comp. into seperate outlets, and tried a new s-video cable. What I have noticed is that none of this matters. And I have also noticed this problem does occur when the composite cable is hooked up - it is just extremely dim, and truthfully I would rather not have to use composites. It is not the port on the TV as my DVD works perfectly on the s-video and the composite ports in question.

So I am really thinking that it is the card. If I can't get if fixed tonight I will be RMAing it back and getting an ATI. I should have done that in the first place.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is the card. Just to see I hooked my main machine up to the s-video and it is crystal clear (surprisingly sharp for s-video). It has an ATI 8500. I should have done this earlier but it is a pain to unhook everything that is running on and move it.

So I did order an ATI 7000 last night. It is a temporary solution as my 8500 will eventually end up in the HTPC with a transcoder, but I am just playing around for now. Perhaps when the 9700s drop a bit more I will be moving on. If the 7000 is anywhere close to the 8500 in quality I will be happy for the time being.

Thank you all for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.