AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many people have posted before me, I am looking for a new TV. However I am hoping to find a unit with a S-Video input. From the research I've done to date most models today do not have this legacy video input.

What I am looking for

Size: 37-42 - but will consider 46

Resolution - any - (I'm hoping to use S-video)

Price point under 700$

Make - no preference, but I have had good success with Sharp LCDs

Any suggestions?

Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the picture quality will not be ideal. But between the choice of S-Video and Composite I thought, perhaps incorrectly S-video would be the prefered method of connection.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

Brian

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian james /forum/post/19614910

I appreciate the picture quality will not be ideal. But between the choice of S-Video and Composite I thought, perhaps incorrectly S-video would be the prefered method of connection.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

Brian

In this day and age, the bare minimum is component, preferably HDMI connections.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
....unless you have an old source with SD only output and you want the best available (as crappy as it may be)

Some of the 2009 and 2010 Vizio models have svideo still. Look on their site - www.vizio.com - and look at the sizes you like....some of the models toward the bottom of the lists have svideo in the tech specs page. A couple I checked were still available from sources like Amazon.

·
Banned
740 Posts
I just had one TV exchanged for another- the older one had an S-Video input and the new one doesn't, so beforehand I checked an older DVD player on it using both S-Video and composite- I saw NO difference whatsoever (of course on my old CRT there was a ton of difference, most notably less dot crawl, but that's not an issue on LCDs.) So while I'm still annoyed they dropped it from the newer model, it's not the end of the world.'

I also checked a couple laserdiscs with composite and S-video- it's been said for years that composite is actually better for laserdiscs, and it's true- thru the S-video, there was a ton of color bleeding that wasn't there thru the composite. Don't have S-VHS or any other higher-quality analog tape formats so can't speak for those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.