AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally ready to go HD, upgrading my 8 year old HT system: Onkyo TX-SR700, 2 SD DirecTiVos, SD TV, etc. (not an HDMI jack to be found, but now I have a laptop and camera with HDMI).

I just got the 55" TV with lots of HDMI inputs, and the Blu-Ray is on the way. As I was getting ready to order the Onkyo TX-SR608, I noticed it does not have any S-Video inputs! The SR700 had lots of S-Video inputs, so that's what I used to connect the DirecTiVos, VHS, DVD, etc. (and I drove the old TV with S-Video). So now the only option will be composite (yellow RCA) for those older devices?

Or should I buy a few cheap S-Video to HDMI converters I see on Amazon?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yeah, it appears to be going away. My parents just replaced a 16 year old TV where everything was connected with S-Video. Their new Samsung HDTV doesn't have any S-Video inputs. I ran a video cable temporarily until they got a new Dish HD DVR, then I changed their connection to HDMI. As far as their DVD player, I am getting them a new BD player, which I will connect via HDMI as well.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
With your new HDTV, anything fed through an S-video signal will look like crap anyway. S-video has been on the way out for a long, long time and there's a reason. It doesn't cut it for HD signals and SD signals on an HDTV look like crap most of the time anyway. Component and HDMI are the only viable options, so I'd suggest you upgrade your associated equipment. I know it sucks, but from the sounds of it, you're a bit behind the curve at this point.

Also, VHS and 8-tracks are dead too - just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
93,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwab /forum/post/19637492

I'm finally ready to go HD .....

If this is true, then upgrade ALL of your components to HD (ie HD TiVo boxes). As noted, SD inputs often look worse on an HDTV then on the old CRT.

Also, if your new TV isn't HDMI 1.4, then you'll likely do better looking at last year's HDMI 1.3 AVR models which will have more legacy inputs.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Which of your components support S-Video but not component video? For me, the only devices I ever owned like that were a few game consoles and a VCR. Laserdisk players would probably still be in that category.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /forum/post/19637860

With your new HDTV, anything fed through an S-video signal will look like crap anyway. S-video has been on the way out for a long, long time and there's a reason. It doesn't cut it for HD signals and SD signals on an HDTV look like crap most of the time anyway.

Yeah, but by that reasoning, you'd think manufacturers would lose the composite connections too... but new AV gear still has plenty of yellow rca jacks. I can only summise that they are thinking:

a) rca jacks are cheaper to manufacture than s-video jacks

b) we're already making rca jacks for the component connections, why don't we just crank out a few more while we're at it, or

c) as long as legacy equipment is going to look like crap, it might as well REALLY look like crap!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Perhaps it's just payback because "Video killed the radio star."

If in response "HDMI-WiFi killed the S-Video star."

Then where will it all end?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /forum/post/19637860

Also, VHS and 8-tracks are dead too - just an FYI.

Very funny! Nope, no 8-track tapes (or players) to be found here! (Actually, the darn things never lasted more than a few years anyway before jamming up.)

But as long as I have 600 CDs, 200 VHS tapes, and 3 boxes full of records, some "obsolete" media will never be dead in my house! (But yes, the records are in boxes, waiting for me to have the time to record them through my USB turntable.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19638037

If this is true, then upgrade ALL of your components to HD (ie HD TiVo boxes). As noted, SD inputs often look worse on an HDTV then on the old CRT.

Nope, no love on the HD TiVo for DirecTV yet (been waiting what, 3-4 years now?). I live so far out in the mountains that there's no "off-the-air" or decent cable, so I only get satellite. I've been using TiVo's since the first one hit my Circuit City store, and the wife finally sorta knows how to use it. I don't want to switch (or lower the WAF) for a DTV/Dish DVR.

I should have said I'm ready to "dip my toe in the HD pool", rather than imply that I was ready for a full switch to everything HD. Most everyone in my family (mother, brother-in-law) has gotten their big TVs but still have only SD sources. I think there's another market below you guys, that thinks SD in a big screen looks better than what they had before (rather than being "crap"), and that can't afford to go all HD all the time.

But no comments about S-Video-to-HDMI converters? (Probably "crap", right?
)

Thanks for the inputs. I will try some other models to see what they offer.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Go one step further up the Onkyo chain of receivers to the TX-NR708 and you can still use S-video if you want. It also has pre outs just in case you really get into this and want to add dedicated amps. The 608 lacks both of these options.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19638435

Which of your components support S-Video but not component video? For me, the only devices I ever owned like that were a few game consoles and a VCR. Laserdisk players would probably still be in that category.

Yes, the VCR, and our primary sources are the 2 HDRV2 DirecTiVos, upgraded my Weaknees to 250 hours each. And those are over half full, so, at a minimum, we will want to watch them for that many hours! Only the DVD (recorder) has component, but the Blu Ray player is on the way!

Next step is to figure out what HD support I can get from DirecTV (or Dish if I must). First I MUST be able to get the Denver local channels in HD. New dish, new cables and switches I guess? Then, should I give up on the HD DirecTiVo and go for an HR24? (also from Weaknees I think). And of course the usual CS battles about ownership, upgrading, etc.!

Then my MX-700 is going out (buttons failing, haven't reprogrammed it for 7 years!, and I lost the cable anyway), so I have to replace it. With the WAF on the MX-700 I don't dare get anything very different, but upgrading to an MX-980 or similar is another CS battle with URC. (
)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
You can usually make an upgrade to HD with either satellite provider. They usually have upgrade HD packages available that include running additional wiring, new dish, and the HD DVR. I know Directv does. You should also have no problem getting your local channels. When you first set up the new DVR your zip code usually needs to be entered. I believe this links you to the nearest large city to receive the local channels and news.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I guess all my Tivos had component video. But my first Tivo was Series 2.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19638037

Also, if your new TV isn't HDMI 1.4, then you'll likely do better looking at last year's HDMI 1.3 AVR models which will have more legacy inputs.

My new Vizio XVT553SV does say it is HDMI 1.4, but what is the difference from 1.3? Just 3D support?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwab /forum/post/19640769

My new Vizio XVT553SV does say it is HDMI 1.4, but what is the difference from 1.3? Just 3D support?

And the audio return channel.

As stated, the higher end Onkyos still use S-video, for the last two generations (S-video was dropped on the TX-SR607, IIRC, but was present on the 606.) One of the reasons I went to a TX-NR807 was the S-video support. I still use (rarely though) an S-VHS VCR.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19640936

For the most part, yes, just 3D although from the Vizio website, your TV is not HDMI 1.4, you would be better served looking at last year's HDMI 1.3 models.

Hmm, the manual definitely says 1.4. So which do I believe? The manual or the website?

Anyway, the Onkyo TX-NR708 (mentioned above) seems to have everything (1.4 and S-Video), and it's only $549 from Amazon!
The 708 throws Internet radio in to the mix, and I don't have a good Internet radio yet.

Reading the specs on both, both have 1080p up-scaling, but only the 608 has 1080i up-scaling. Not sure why I'd need or want 1080i if my TV supports 1080p!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts