AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using the S-video output of the Samsung SIR-T150 yesterday, and I noticed that it looked different depending on which output resolution was selected. For instance, when I set the switch to 1080i, the S-video output produced an image that looked blocky. However, when I set it to 480p or 720p, the image from S-video looked fine. It seems strange to me that the resolution switch would have any effect on the S-video output since the switch is only supposed to affect the RGB and YPbPr outputs.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had to look very carefully, but I finally see what you mean. Obviously it's downconverting the output picture frames for the s-video, and getting slightly different results from the interlaced picture format. But, by the time it makes it through the video recorder to tape & back, it won't matter. (Maybe something like a Tivo can record a better picture than a S-VHS recorder, in which case it may matter?)

------------------

..Rick

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by STL:

This Samsung unit is only a OTA HD STB, right?
Specifically, it receives only 8-VSB broadcasts. In addition to OTA, some cable systems provide 8-VSB, and the Dish 5000 with HDTV modulator provides 8-VSB. It cannot receive directly from satellite.

Quote:
From what I'm reading, I get the impression it can output 480i on Svideo (& composite) AND 1080i on Componenet at the same time -- is this true?
Yes, it can output both at the same time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Garci:
Has anyone else seen this behavior?
Maybe I should clarify what I saw: very slight blockiness between two scanlines, but nothing that you would be able see after recording to a SVHS tape because the resolution of tape is less than what I'm seeing, and I'm looking at a very large line-doubled screen. Like, on CBS, I can barely see the difference when looking at the top curver of the CBS logo they superimpose on all their programs in the lower right of the screen. If you're seeing blockiness big enough to see on videotape then I don't think I see it on my unit (same version, but upgraded to version 1.63).

------------------

..Rick

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if all units have this problem. If Samsung does not address it, then I will probably need to switch from 1080i whenever I watch or record S-video. I suspect that this problem also affects the composite output, although I did not check it.

By the way, mine was manufactured in Feb. 2001 and has v1.6 software.

Does anyone else see it or not?

·
Registered
638 Posts
This Samsung unit is only a OTA HD STB, right?

From what I'm reading, I get the impression it can output 480i on Svideo (& composite) AND 1080i on Componenet at the same time -- is this true? I didn't think any HD STBs did that (or maybe that just applies to HD STBs that have satellite rec'r in them too).

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's been my understanding that the S-Video output provides the option for recording a HD 1080i broadcast. Of course it won't be 1080i, but nonetheless it can be recorded for later viewing. Personally, I have not tried this feature. Ideally, for HD 1080i viewing, component video should be used instead of the S-video or composite output.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first time I noticed the blockiness was when I was watching channel 53.2 from WRAL-DT. This news channel contains graphics with text along the right side and the bottom. The text does not move and is supposed to appear sharp. The blockiness becomes very apparent in this case, especially when I compare the blocky image to the non-blocky image by switching the output resolution.

My initial impression is that the blocky image has lost half of its vertical resolution. I have not tried recording it to tape, so this observation is based only on watching it directly from the tuner's S-video output.

[This message has been edited by Erik Garci (edited 10-12-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.