AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an old Proxima 2800 640x480 projector at an auction. Problem is it came with no data cable. My question is should I spend A$200 on getting the VGA data cable or should I spend A$200 on getting a video card with S-video output? Yes, the VGA cable costs A$200!

Projector will be primarily used for viewing dvds/vcds/digital photos. No games, web browsing or TV. Current PC is a Celeron 600 with a nVidia Riva ZX128 AGP video card.

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Go with the VGA - that's an RGB format - each color gets

its own wire.

S-video, also called Y/C has only 2 signals - Y, which is

total luminance, and C, Chroma ; which has all the color

info matrixed together.

Greg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Might help if you said what type of connectors it needs.
http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/wfind2?spn=A688332
http://www.projectorimages.com/produ...mber=IM-134182
http://www.projectorimages.com/produ...mber=IM-886233

Those I found doing a search not sure if that's what you're looking for. Another idea is to make one there's a thread here somewhere about making a cable w/ shielded cat5. Looking on ebay I found a pic of the machine and it looks like its a din9 and a 25 pin connectors. Are both of these used for connection? If so that might make finding the cable a little more difficult.

EDIT

Ah I see you're in australia that'd be about $105 american dollars. So I'd bet its that 123$ cable. Says its a db-15 to db-9 might not be to difficult to find cheaper.

[This message has been edited by FFEJ (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the posts, I guess it answered my questions on which way to go. I was going to include all the details of the projector, but did not want to overload the post - the main question was whether the signal through the data connection would be better than the signal through the s-video connection, and I think that has been answered.

Yes, the 'computer' connector on the projector is a DB25 type connector, and the manual says that the projector is usually supplied with a split cable so you can run the projector and a monitor off a single video card at the same time. Maybe its becuase of the split that it is so expensive? The part number is a C454-6. Prices seem to vary a lot from US$75 to US$150!

Any one know if it is possible to make your own cables up or where to find a pinout? Otherwise I will just have to order it in, probably from the States as the local distributor says about three weeks to get one in!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're just awesome! I found the support note 35a on Proximas site, but I could not find my way round to locating the pinout diagrams. Thanks heaps, I'll see if I can rustle up some old cables, and have a go at making one up myself before I part with the cash. This is exactly what I was after. Woo hoO!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.