AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got into front side projection (yesterday was my first day of having one) and I am a little confused. I have an older model lcd projector with a s-video and composite inputs. It does not have VGA or component inputs. A friend told me that to help with the scan lines from playing dvds that I could use a line doubler. My question is – if I use a HTPC (this is easy to setup and fairly cheap since I only need to get a Radeon with tv output) will I still need to get a line doubler? Will the s-video output on the video card be enough to help with the scan lines? Would I need any special software on the PC?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, both composite and s-video are design for interlaced signals only. So line doubling won't help. Progressive signals require component or VGA inputs. However, you may be able alter the graphics card resolution (eg. 640x480 or 800x600), and this may have an affect on the image clarity when viewing DVD's (eg. my laptop even supports 1024x768 output via s-video). These higher resolutions are really just a fudge/simulation, and text is difficult to read, but you may want to experiment to find the best resolution for DVD playback.

Using a PC you won't see much (or any) improvement compared to a regular standalone DVD player (via s-video).

Mike.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
With only composite and SVideo, I think you are out of luck as they are both limited to 480i (TV grade video). You need RGB or Component to get higher resolution.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the replies. Now I understand the difference between 480i and 480p. My next project is getting a good screen. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.