1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we have this thing:

http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/conn...oconnector.asp

The manufacturer's claim is that you just punchdown the wires and that's it. I remember someone saying something about the impedance of ethernet cabling being all wrong for sending video over it. We're looking about probably a 50 foot run, and I want to know if anybody has used this.

And no, we can't afford the $150 a foot Uber-Monster Cables s-video stuff.

If this stuff is junk, then what would be decent? My wife was cringing heavily at the $190 cable from bettercables.com.

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and by "fancy box thing" I meant the powered converter box that sits on both ends of the ethernet cable converting from one format to another. I can't see how adding on $100 for something that is going to add conversion loss seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
 Avcable has a 50 ft. s-video cable in the $50 range. I have not used them, but they are reportedly high quality cables. You could also use 2 runs of RG-6 with a s-video adapter at each end. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the various video over cat 5 systems? I've gotten literature on similiar products by Pragmatic Communications and have read about the leviton and crestron systems. Most require a send and a receive unit. What is the quality like compared to a modulated or otherwise distributed signal. We are planning the pre-wire on our new home and are considering all the options. Most of these systems claim excellent picture quality at distances up to 1000 ft. This certainly would fit your 50 ft need. The only problem is that the send/receive units probably cost more than a decent cable.

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AVCable.... hmmm they seem a good bit more reasonable. I was somewhat wary of bettercables being that they have a gold plating for their optical toslink cable. Gee, wouldn't plastic work just as well, while being cheaper? I know it is a simple thing, but that just raises a flag for me.

Anybody have any experience with the AVCable's products? We're also going to run a 50' 15 pin VGA cable, and that gets expensive quickly.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have played around with cat5e running composite, svideo and component. I have had mixed results so I would tell to give it a shot and see if it works for you. I was testing a 80ft run with Cat5e when I had the cable in a coil it worked great but when I ran the cable from the 1st to the 2nd floor I started to pick up noise on the line. My guess is i was running too close to a RF noise and the line was picking it up. If cable form factor is key it might be worth trying it, you could also just run a couple of rg6 or 59 cables and use a svideo y c splitter cable.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Specifically, how much of a difference is there between the BetterCables s-video and the the AVCable s-video cables? The cost difference is within the "splurgable" range for me, assuming there's some difference. Has anyone had any experience between either of these two brands?

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After poking around a fair bit, I have come up with the following battle plan:

Speaker wire will be nothing but Home Depot 12 gauge wire.

The projector will have one component set, one s-video and one composite. These will consist of three RG-6 cables for the component, two RG-6 cables for the s-video, and one RG-6 for the conposite. These RG-6 cables will be the 18 gauge Radio Shack stuff with gold Radio Shack connectors crimped on.

Go ahead and let 'er rip. I'm perfectly willing to have you people flame me and tell me that I'm an idiot, provided that you explain my folly to me. Otherwise, this sounds like the most reasonable scheme so far.

·
Registered
881 Posts
For what it's worth...

I just got all my cables (sans speaker) from AVCable. Haven't had the opportunity to hook them up yet as the HT won't be finished for another few days.

Here's what I CAN tell you...

Awesome customer service. From order to receipt, these guys were just great to deal with. It was nice to open my email one day and get a UPS shipment tracking number. I know, a lot of people do that but it was a nice touch.

High quality construction. From what I see, they use Canare connectors on their component RGB cables, Switchcraft connectors on their patch cables, can't tell on the S-Video connectors (but feels and looks solid) and Calrad connectors on their optical cable (this is one of the best looking cables if that matters). The balance of the components look and feel very well made.

Small things add up. Another nice touch is that every cable comes with a Velcro service loop manager. I can only hope this helps me keep a little more order in my closet when I go to connect everything up. It sure beats zip ties in appearance and adjustability (is that a word? :D).

Did I mention awesome customer service? I made an error on two of the cables I had custom ordered (measured off of design spec instead of as-built and came up with the wrong length... dummy) and there was absolutely zero hassle in returning them and getting what I needed.

So far so good. I'm feeling pretty darn good about my decision to go this route over Monster, especially since I spent only 1/3 what I would have if I got the Monster equivalent (that's 1/3 of a 50% discounted Monster price through a buddy in the biz). Of course I haven't hooked them up yet, but everything seems to be pointing toward a great experience with this company.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use the Leviton QuickPort® S-Video Module with a run of about 50ft, probably more like 60ft.

I don't notice any PQ problems at all.

Jeff

·
Registered
317 Posts
thegeek,

Where are you located in Tampa. I am from Tampa as well and am a HT junky.... shoot me a pm...

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, after trolling around a fair bit in some other forums, I definitely have no doubt whatsoever that RG6 is the best way to go about this. I put in an order from partsexpress (they were recommended a fair number of times) for some gold crimp-on RCA connectors, a spool of quad shielded copper core (not steel folks!) RG6, a bunch of tools, and some different colored heatshrink tubing (3/4", 3-1 shrink ratio) just so I don't loose my mind figuring out what cable goes to what. It will also make them look purty. Next I need to figure out how to crimp the ends on right and make sure the three component cables are the same exact length. Pretty sure the s-video pair needs to be the same length as well, but with the component cables it is really important. At least I've done RJ-45 crimping before, and I know I'll be messing up at least a few before I get the hang of it.

I also picked up a pair of connectors entitled the "Tsunami HT720". These things split the 4 pins of s-video out to two RCA jacks, which is exactly what I need. I forget where I got them from, but a quick googling for that term will get you that exact item. They were something like $25 shipped. Awesome deal for a really oddball item. I know there's a huge margin on those things, but I still consider it an awesome deal.

All in all the grand total comes to about $200 for all this. I even made sure to get a good number of spare RCA connectors for the inevitable screw ups, testing, and just plain future use. I must say this is certainly turning out to be far cheaper than going the Monster route, and from what everybody says, this is the high quality way of doing long runs.

Next I gotta just get a UPS for this. There's quite a few listings on eBay for some of the heftier Smart-UPS line. Another thread says to get the ones that do sinewave, and not sinewave approximation. I've got some lower end UPSs on some computers, I've replaced the batteries in them, and I know the electronics inside aren't likely to fail with age, so I have zero qualms about buying a used UPS off of eBay.

Now all I have to do is somehow get this all into the existing house that I'm closing on in about eleven. Some of the walls I'll be chunking through are exterior walls, so this should be interresting. ;-) I suppose that next I'll be asking about advice on running cable along external walls or something. I'm still kinda confused how to do it.

Overall, I'm pretty psyched. We're just moving out of an apartment into our first home, and I can't wait to actually have the chance to finally use my HT the way it was intended, and not have to worry about neighbors. If fact, I think I'm actually looking forward to doing yard work. I assume that feeling will wear off soon.

While I'm in braindump mode (and just in case someone is searching for advice and finds this thread), the cable runs should stay at least 12" away from power lines. If they do have to cross a power line, then make sure they cross at a 90 degree angle. This will minimize interference. Also, this is probably overkill for a 50' run. This setup can be used for a 200' run.

(sleep deprivation induced rant mode: OFF)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Do you have any schematics for your svideo cable using the 2 rg6 runs?

Also, does anyone know where i can get a good CSV - S-VIDEO cable?

TIA

Quote:
Originally posted by thegeek
After poking around a fair bit, I have come up with the following battle plan:

Speaker wire will be nothing but Home Depot 12 gauge wire.

The projector will have one component set, one s-video and one composite. These will consist of three RG-6 cables for the component, two RG-6 cables for the s-video, and one RG-6 for the conposite. These RG-6 cables will be the 18 gauge Radio Shack stuff with gold Radio Shack connectors crimped on.

Go ahead and let 'er rip. I'm perfectly willing to have you people flame me and tell me that I'm an idiot, provided that you explain my folly to me. Otherwise, this sounds like the most reasonable scheme so far.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Geek:

Thank You for posting my HT720, this breakout unit is very easy to use as both "Y" & "C" ports are marked. I have tested this unit at over 150' using RG59 with no color loss or artifacts. If you can not find one please call me during normal EST work hours and I will help you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.