AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a real nice vivid video picture running an s-video signal out of my Toshiba Nuon DVD. I was thinking of using the component out and go into the VGA 15 pin input on my NEC DLP. Will it be worth the $100 in cable and connectors. I would need a 20' VGA cable, a BNC to VGA adapter, and then phono plug to BNC to attach to the DVD outs. My complaint right now is a few jaggies and scan lines but not that bad at all. Also slight ghosting on some text. A slight dark shadow on the left side of letter. Should I do the component connection? Thanks.

Alex D.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I think it depends on what type of DVD player you have, and I'm not familiar with the Nuon. If it has progressive scan output, I think yes it would be worth it. However, the difference between interlaced component video and S-video is barely noticeable on an interlaced display, and may not be perceptable at all after deinterlacing, depending upon line doubler quality.

If you decide to go with the (progressive) component option, I would not use the cabling scheme you describe. NEC offers a 2-meter component video to VGA cable as an accessory, with 3 X RCA at one end and the HD-15 (VGA) at the other. If this length is not suitable, I would have the exact required length in a similar cable manufactured, and forego the three part solution you propose which very likely will degrade your video signals. Try the forum sponsor here:
http://www.bettercables.com/

Regards,

Gary

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can only comment on my experience with my projector. I ran S-Video for about 10 months and was very happy with the picture it provided but I had always wondered about feeding it a component signal. I tried it about three weeks ago. I am running a 35 foot cable (3 RCA to 15pin). I was shocked at the difference. The image was much more vibrant and detailed and the difference can be seen on all program material. The color bar test pattern was also shocking. The transitions between colors are now razor sharp. Reds used to bleed slightly with S-Video and I thought that it was normal because I have noticed this with most displays. Its not normal, and the red bleeding was completely removed when I use the component input.

Again it may not be as noticeable on all projectors but with mine the difference was night and day. I would get the long run cable at bettercables.com. I am sure you will be very happy with the result.

Avery

------------------

My HT Pics http://members.aol.com/thxavery/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll move forward on your advise. I just sent BetterCables a request for a 20' cable, 3xRCA plugs on one end for DVD output to a 15 pin for projector input. I'll post the price when they respond.

Alex D.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can't imagine that you'd need to spend more than $50 on the cable you described. You can get 90% of the improvement even with inexpensive cables.

Worth $25-50? Absolutely.

------------------

- Tom C

·
Registered
149 Posts
I own a NEC VT440 and noticed a great improvement when I switch to component. Red is real red and not orange.

I order my cable, which is 30' ft long with Homecinemasource at a price of $95(ex. shipping). The service you get there is excellent.

So go for component!!!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Alex,

Before you order that cable, make sure you know that it will work for you; I don't know your projector, but I have my doubts that what you are trying to do will work.

The DVD player's component outputs are Y-Pb-Pr color difference signals. A VGA input is generally RGBHV, and there's no way to convert from one of these formats to the other with only a cable. Is there a way to tell your projector that it has Y-Pb-Pr signals coming into its VGA port? If so, then this will work for you. If not, then it won't work unless you have an external device such as a scaler to do the conversion.

- Chris

·
Registered
340 Posts
Never mind. I just found a PDF of the specs for an LT150 and it does support component levels on its VGA input. I don't know which model you have, but it looks like you do know what you are talking about! Sorry. Go for it.

- Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.