AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I found a few older threads, but I wanted to start a new one to see if there is a more recent solution.

The nature of my problem is as follows. My new(2014) Samsung TV does not have dedicated composite/component inputs, just one shared input. When an RCA plus is in the Blue port for component, it assumes component input. When only the Green port has a plug, it assumes composite. It has no S-Video input.

So, I have an N64, and a Wii(among other consoles), that I use regularly. I hate having to disconnect 1 console to connect the other. I would use a component switch, but I can't due to it automatically processing the video as component, as long as the blue port is occupied.

So my next thought is, how about an upscaler that outputs HDMI? A little expensive, but I recognize this is an option.

Third idea, transcode to Component and use a component switch. If I am going that route, I would want something that can transcode both Composite and S-Video to Component. Best output(besides RGB, which requires a mod) from N64 is S-Video. I found this:

I found a link on Ambery website, but I can't post it due to my being a new account. I believe it is model SDV1

Does anyone know about this converter? I would hate to introduce even more lag into this setup. Any alternatives? The price is very good on the Ambery transcoder. Should I just go with an HDMI scaler such as the XRGB-Mini Framemeister? Any other recommendations?

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Especially for s-video to component, you could get one of the old iScan unit (iScan Plus or Pro). You can connect s-video to it and you would get 480p component from it. Somewhere in the $40 to $70 range on ebay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Especially for s-video to component, you could get one of the old iScan unit (iScan Plus or Pro). You can connect s-video to it and you would get 480p component from it. Somewhere in the $40 to $70 range on ebay.
Thank's for the input Fudhoh. I see your review for the iScan Pro and I have a few questions.

1. I see output is only VGA style plug? Do I simply need VGA to Component cable?

2. With component video, can I use the small scanline generator you show?

3. Will S-Video through the iScan look better than Composite through my TV, provided I have the highest quality cables?

4. If I can get away with running Wii Component 480P through it also to avoid needing the switch, I would. Is this possible?

Thank you!
George

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
1. I see output is only VGA style plug? Do I simply need VGA to Component cable?
yes.

2. With component video, can I use the small scanline generator you show?
no, that's for RGBHV signals only.

If you like to go that way, you have to do it like this: source > iscan > SLG unit > VGA to HDMI converter.

3. Will S-Video through the iScan look better than Composite through my TV, provided I have the highest quality cables?
yes, definitely. S-video is closer to component than it is to composite. Also the iScan will properly handle the low-res 240p from your N64.

4. If I can get away with running Wii Component 480P through it also to avoid needing the switch, I would. Is this possible?
no, not with one of the early iScan units. If you want to run 15 and 31khz signals through the same processor you need something better. iScan HD or similar...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have an entech/monster cable cvsi-1 component integrator somewhere. It has composite, s-video and component inputs. It outputs component (480i). It doesnt show up for sale often so you might want to look for other options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an entech/monster cable cvsi-1 component integrator somewhere. It has composite, s-video and component inputs. It outputs component (480i). It doesnt show up for sale often so you might want to look for other options.
Yes, that would be a fine option, but it doesn't seem to be readily available.

Fudoh's recommendation initially seemed good, but then I see the iScan HD+ for only about $100 on eBay. I see on Fudoh's site that he states you need to get some enhancement card for the iScan HD. If I opt not to get the card, what will I be missing out on?

best regards,
George

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The Entech is a viable option, but they're rare as hell (really, in like 1 unit in 2 years on ebay). This way you also leave the deinterlacing to your TV, which will definitely look worse than getting it done by an iScan unit.

The iScan HD+ is usually more than $100, but you only need this, if you want to process all your sources. If you stick to your initial plan to find a solution for your s-video source, the simpler iScan units (Plus and Pro) are totally fine.

The "enhancement" card you're thinking of (ABT102 upgrade) is only available for the later iScan units (VP20 and VP30). And these didn't do anything for 240p content, they brought better 480i deinterlacing though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Entech is a viable option, but they're rare as hell (really, in like 1 unit in 2 years on ebay). This way you also leave the deinterlacing to your TV, which will definitely look worse than getting it done by an iScan unit.

The iScan HD+ is usually more than $100, but you only need this, if you want to process all your sources. If you stick to your initial plan to find a solution for your s-video source, the simpler iScan units (Plus and Pro) are totally fine.

The "enhancement" card you're thinking of (ABT102 upgrade) is only available for the later iScan units (VP20 and VP30). And these didn't do anything for 240p content, they brought better 480i deinterlacing though.
Hi Fudoh,

Thanks again for your responses. One more question. Provided that cost is not a constraint, would you recommend the xrgb-mini over the iScan HD+? My initial problems are of course being able to use S-Video with my TV, and secondarily being able to have composite/component in the same input. However the xRGB adds scanlines, very fast scaling, and HDMI support. I assume there will be less potential issues with audio(since it processes both), as well as being more future-proof due to HDMI probably being around for a while.

What potential problems would I encounter with xRGB that I wouldn't with the iScan?

Regards,
george

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The Frameister is the best video game processor - period.

Unfortunately the N64 is the system with benefits least from the Mini. The N64's video output isn't exactly very sharp and it's usual the only system to disappoint buyers of the XRGB-Mini.

I don't see any problems you might encounter with the Mini. If you want to connect your component source(s) as well, make sure to get a D-Terminal to component adapter cable along with it. It's the same signal, but in Japan D-Terminal is often used instead of the 3xRCA connector you might expect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Frameister is the best video game processor - period.

Unfortunately the N64 is the system with benefits least from the Mini. The N64's video output isn't exactly very sharp and it's usual the only system to disappoint buyers of the XRGB-Mini.

I don't see any problems you might encounter with the Mini. If you want to connect your component source(s) as well, make sure to get a D-Terminal to component adapter cable along with it. It's the same signal, but in Japan D-Terminal is often used instead of the 3xRCA connector you might expect.
Hi Fudoh,

I don't mean to ask so many questions, but you seem to be the most informed person on the net regarding scaling retro consoles. I have many old systems, NES, SNES, Genesis, but none outputting RGB Signal. Will the xRGB mini with composite input make a significant difference VS my Tv's internal scaler to 1080p? When playing super mario bros, Mario's sprite looks atrocious. Is there any chance you could post a pic of composite straight to TV vs composite into the framemeister?

If not, that's fine. Thank you for your [email protected]

Regards,
George

·
Premium Member
8,418 Posts
Did not read the thread, but I have two boxed Sonic Wave by Impact 6 FT S-video boxes sealed for free just pay for shipping from NYC

Any takers just please pm me.

Djoel

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Don't know if this helps, but it looks like the brave new world of display inputs are falling into 2 camps:
1) HDMI (multiple)
2) shared input composite/component (only 1!)

So, you are pretty much forced to "save" the shared input for "old" technology (e.g. composite) and use an AVR to up-convert everything (like VCR/LD/etc) to HDMI. You can even route the composite input thru the AVR, but that means no other analog/legacy inputs left on the TV for anything else. This is why I'm timing my new (OLED) HDTV purchase with a new AVR (Atmos/DTS) purchase; heck, they don't even put anything but composite and HDMI inputs on AVRs either anymore.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
have many old systems, NES, SNES, Genesis, but none outputting RGB Signal. Will the xRGB mini with composite input make a significant difference VS my Tv's internal scaler to 1080p?
SNES and Genesis output RGB out of the box. Just a matter of getting the right cables. Not to use RGB is really not an excuse with these.

An added scanline overlay masks a lot of the composite artefacts, but if you're seriously want to use your NES on a Framemeister, simply have a NESRGB board installed and be done with composite forever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SNES and Genesis output RGB out of the box. Just a matter of getting the right cables. Not to use RGB is really not an excuse with these.

An added scanline overlay masks a lot of the composite artefacts, but if you're seriously want to use your NES on a Framemeister, simply have a NESRGB board installed and be done with composite forever.
Thanks Fudoh!

I ordered the Framemeister. Now I just need to acquire all the right cables.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello avs forum. I joined to get help with my U.S. Sega master system. The vast majority of info on these sms are from the U.K , AU and Brazil. I live in the USA , never seen a scart cable or a tv that uses one. I own a early Sega master system with the V7040 chip , not the CX chip found later. I see the chip has rgb , All of my flat screens have 2 different rgb/audio options , VGA , hdmi and composite. I have tried to make my own cable with the 8 pin din to rgb/av with no luck. I have the parts to do the console5 S video mod , but i would rather go with component if that is the best signal possible. Sorry if this has been answered before , as i have not been able to find this information with web search. I dont know if the rgb signal from chip makes it to the din pin for U.S. Sega master system. The cables sold for the sega in U.S are din to composite. Thank you for any help. My goal is to have a simple 8 pin din to rgb video / rca audio if it is a possibility .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I could not find more appropriate place to post :
I have an old vcr player I set up as a part of home theater system with IVC projector, denon 4200w av receiver.
Once connected vice player to avr and trying to watch vcr tape I have only audio for about 7-10
Minutes and video comes in? What could be the problem with delay and what potential fix I can apply. It is composite to cop site connection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts