AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to input cable TV into my LP340 via a s-video source. The comb filter or lack of one, produces poor video from my composite VCR output. Has anyone tried using a SVHS VCR our a Tivo to output s-video into a Infocus LP340 or LP350? I really don't want to step up to direcTV or HDTV just yet. Hopefully and $200 SVHS VCR will solve my problem.

Dan

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've used my SVideo VCR once or twice for pre-recorded tapes(Star Wars: TPM - widescreen edition) and I was surprised about the picture quality considering the tape is only 240 lines or so. I've also had a few S-Video copies of DVD's for testing and the picture is much improved with the 400 available lines that an Svideo VCR can provide. I still prefer DVD by far however.

Please take this response with a grain of salt as I have not yet tried the composite input on my LP350 so I have nothing to compare the s-video feed from the VCR too.

------------------

Regards

GMan

[This message has been edited by GMancusa (edited 06-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by GMancusa (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
When you are using a true Y/C separated source such as DVD or DSS, the Infocus 340 does a super job. It has excellent scaling of video.

When you are using a source that has had Y/C mixed, such as VCR recordings OTA, or laserdisk, then it depends on the relative quality of the Y/C separation you are using. My general experience is that the Infocus Y/C separation is about as good as most LD players and better than many VCRS.

Note that normal VHS, and OTA signals, still have Y/C mixed together. A SVHS recording from a pure non-mixed source will have Y/C separated.

The problem is that once Y/C are mixed together to make composite, they can never be truly separated. There are some quite good technical papers on the net about this difficult problem. "3-D digital comb filters" are one of the better solutions, but nothing really works.

Bottom line: feed your Infocus DVD or DSS signals!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the Philips SVHS vcr and noticed very little diffrence. I actually think it looked a bit worse them my Sony. I think the tuner in the sony must be a little better. Has anyone tried a Tivo with the 340 or 350?

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.