AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
among other connections, i am currently running s-video from my sat receiver into my cs-1. is there any advantage converting this s-video to component video and then running it into my cs-1s component (interlaced) input?

i guess i'm just trying to get a handle on whether or not processors perform much better with component interlaced sources or than they do with s-video interlaced sources. might it be that any difference would be very marginal given that the signal is processed and sent to my display device via component connection anyway?

thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:
You would just be moving the point at which the s-video is decoded to component.

yes; but is there an advantage to this (moving the decoding point) when using a video processor? does a video processor/scaler tend to do a better job processing an interlaced signal received from component inputs or s-video inputs assuming, for example, one want to convert the signal to to 5840p?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks hk43:

would the same apply to composite input versus svideo input, i.e., there would not be any advantage of converting composite to svideo prior to connecting to a processor/scaler as the processor/scaler would eventually process the signal? i keep wondering about gargbage in garbage out, or in this case, inferior signal in, inferior signal out.

needless to say, i'm relatively new to high-end video - just when i think that i'm getting a grasp on the technology, poof, i feel that i am back to square one.

thanks again for any input.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
WT-46809,

As HK43 states, you'd probably be best off letting your processor convert the composite to component. Remember that each conversion is usually involves an A/D and D/A conversion, so you risk introducing artifacts and softening the picture with each conversion.

If your processor has a decent comb filter, I'd let the processor do the conversions.

-Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.