AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could tell me why component is a better choice then S- video. Everyone that I've spoken with has told me when using a projector to use component. This is fine and I intend to but can anyone tell me the technical reasons why component is superior in this application and why S - video is better when using Dvd to projection Tv or to a regular Tv.

Your input is appreciated.

· Registered
455 Posts
I was doing comparisons with s-video and component going from the same dvd player into my SE 17SF. I was suprised to find that the images were pretty much identical. Both cables are pretty fancy so I'm not sure what the deal is with my setup.

· Registered
499 Posts
well progressive scan goes through components if you have an HD compatable tv and DVD player or game system that for sure is better than S-Video but I don't know how you plan on using them.

· Registered
499 Posts
I should add that I have seen s-video and component switched on a normal non HD tv and I did not see much if any difference, but don't go by what I say, most places like Circuit City or Best Buy could do this for you. There are also only slight differences between cables of the same type but I personally have blue jeans cable but Acoustic research and some others are pretty good for the money. Sorry if you don't need to know that but I thought I would add that.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KingofOld
well progressive scan goes through components if you have an HD compatable tv and DVD player or game system that for sure is better than S-Video but I don't know how you plan on using them.
I'm planning on using a progressive scan Dvd player using component to the projector. The only other choice would be an s video cable but I've been told not to use it with a progressive scan Dvd. Especially when using a projector. This i can understand and will be likely using the component setup. but I was wondering what the technical reason for using component is

· Registered
2,378 Posts
Component splits the video signal into 3 separate channels, S-Video is 2 and composite is 1. The more channels of info, the better the picture quality.

Some projectors have excellent internal processors that make the differences subtle at best. Others don't and you want to feed them the best possible source.

S-Video is never superior to component.

· Registered
1,665 Posts
yop,

My understanding is that the component video and analog VGA is basically identical quality-wise. The bandwidth is the same. And the Y/Pr/Pb signals on the component connection is a simple linear transform of the R/G/B signals on the VGA; there should be no loss of quality converting between these signals. However, you should be careful in that VGA cables are usually constructed of twisted pairs, which are no good for a longer cable run. If you go for the VGA connection, you should choose a cable made of three coax wires (all component cables are).

Back to the topic of component vs. S-video, I do see that the component connection provides appreciably better image quality, but the difference is certainly more subtle than that between S-video and composite.

In other words: component > S-video >>> composite.

· Registered
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jgadea
Ttally agree with Sushi... The difference is abysmal from composite to s-vid...
..."If you go for the VGA connection, you should choose a cable made of three coax wires"

Hmm, makes me wonder. Am I wrong by saing that VGA has a minimum of 8 leeds R+ground, G+ground, B+ground and H-sync V-sync. (Done with 5 wires)

But also, I believe fixed pixl pj's have a better way with component and not all pj's will scale and fill the entire LCD with thru VGA unless it comes from a computer or scanrate is over 60Hz

And lats, you will not get any HD or Progressive running from S-VHS.

When it comes to PQ you will get a sharper and more clear picture with component. Specialy if you have a progressive unit.

Cheers

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Hmm, makes me wonder. Am I wrong by saing that VGA has a minimum of 8 leeds R+ground, G+ground, B+ground and H-sync V-sync. (Done with 5 wires)
You are absolutely correct. What I meant was, a VGA cable in which at least the R/G/B signals are carried via (three) coax wires is much preferred for a long cable run. Sync signals are less demanding in terms of bandwidth, but use of coax'es for them will never hurt.

I also agree that component connection will always give you a guaranteed "plug-and-play" performance, without a need for messing around with scaling, scanrate, etc.

· Registered
23 Posts
I've been comparing component with s video with my X1. Component has been a shambles - using a variety of leads - as I have had convert RGB from a DVD player/Digital TV box to component. Picture has had loads of interference patterns over long cable lengths. S video has been simple and a good picture quality - even over a 10m cable length.

Theoretically, component is better than s video - although the Y (luminance) signal is the same bandwidth on both and it is only the C carrying colour on s video that is effectively half the y-b and y-r on component. If you watch a lot of black and white films, then stick with s video!!!

Also been comparing DVD from a laptop using the X1 VGA PC (RGB) plug versus a TEAC AV 500 DVD player using s video. Picture quality difference on a 6 ft wide light grey screen is very difficult to distinguish, and once brightness, colour and contrast levels have been adjusted, I am not sure I can tell the difference between the laptop DVD and TEAC player.

RGB can be done with just R, G and B with sync on G, or an extra combined H/V sync wire or separate H and V sync wires - so up to 5.

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Component has been a shambles - using a variety of leads - as I have had convert RGB from a DVD player/Digital TV box to component. Picture has had loads of interference patterns over long cable lengths.
I have to say that something in your chain must be grossly wrong. What exactly do you mean by "convert RGB ... to component"? Are you sure the "converter box" or whatever you use is not the culprit?

I am currently running a long (75-feet) component and S-video cable (relatively thin Mogami 27AWG coax'es) from my player to the projector. I do not see any sign of interference or cable-related artifacts/noise, either in component or S-video connection. I do not think the component cable or format itself is the cause of your problem.

· Registered
159 Posts
I have to agree with Sushi there must be something wrong with your layout colinstone. I'm too running long component 60-feet and no sign of loss or interference, just crystal clear picture. On the other hand, s-video has a great loss, on long distance it will come up with blur and colour falior.

And 2nd who watches black/white movies all the time both component and VGA should be able to display PERFECT GRAY if it cant there is something wrong and you wont have right colours either. R, G, B with the same walue should display gray and end of storry. Thats just the way it is. So back to the quality issue. Component and VGA are both raw signals and have a direct effect on each CRT/LCD panel in a unit while s-video and composit are combined. So it must somehow be logic that that a combined signal will not do the job 100%. And am I wrong by saing NO HD or PROGRESSIVE on S-Video.

"RGB can be done with just R, G and B with sync on G, or an extra combined H/V sync wire or separate H and V sync"

Im not sure I would do that, and not all units will except that. Sync on G?? why disturb a carryer led, by messing with a main wire you'll make it difrent from the others. No wonder picture looks funny.

Everyone have a good day :)

Cheers

· Registered
308 Posts
Maybe I've been out of the loop for too long but the way I understand it is that to use progressive or HDTV it MUST come through component. S Video won't work. There was a big debate over which was better when component first came out and most people couldn't see a difference between it and S Video. The need for component was to support progressive scan and HDTV.

· Registered
44 Posts
Moving Target is correct. In order to use the progressive scan features of your progressive scan DVD player you have to use component. S-Video does not work. I think the true difference in picture quality comes from the progressive scan features of the DVD player and not the cables.

· Registered
23 Posts
Just to clarify. In UK most DVD players usually, note most and usually, only come with either/and/or RGB, S video and composite. Regrettably, and only the marketing cretins and tight fisted accountants can probably answer, DVD players here do not usually have component YUV. So I have a RGB-YUV converter which produces a 576i signal (PAL and somewhat better than 480i NTSC) on YUV.

Converter has been checked, and even dealer got a YUV snowstorm with the X1 - so the projector was exchanged. Best pic was obtained with 75ohm coax, pic attached - so any experts please step forward and explain?? Ignore the keystone - not fully setup.

Kent_l - I never said that s video was better and of course theoretically component is the better signal. However theory and practice are not always the same - and it probably depends on the whole chain of kit from source to projector. As for the RGB sync, I was merely pointing out the options, not a prescription - depends on the kit and what it will accept.

As I said, in a comparison between a DVD laptop outputting PC VGA into the X1 (interlaced/progressive signal) and a TEAC Reference 500 DVD player using s video together with the X1 DCDi processing, it was and is impossible to detect any difference on a 6 ft wide pic on a light grey screen - Star Wars Attack of the Clones (THX). Now it may be possible to see the difference on a £9000 SIM projector, and therefore an improvement could be seen using component.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.