AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a noticeable difference between the two, besides progressive scan? I notice in some movies when I use s-video, like The Perfect Storm, there is a lot of aliasing on some things, such as when one of the actors is climbing up the con tower on the boat while the sun is setting, the metal supports look very aliased. Will component video help out with this problem or am I more coming up against the inherent low resolution of DVD?

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you have component, you should be using component. The change from Svideo to component is not as radical as going from composite to Svideo, but there should be a difference. What player you have and what TV you have will make a difference though, so how dramatic is for you to find out. With component connections you get:

Darker blacks

Less artifacting

Better color

Having the option to use component cabling, and not is like having a car with 5 gears and never going past 4th, IMHO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by renaldow
If you have component, you should be using component. The change from Svideo to component is not as radical as going from composite to Svideo, but there should be a difference. What player you have and what TV you have will make a difference though, so how dramatic is for you to find out. With component connections you get:

Darker blacks

Less artifacting

Better color

Having the option to use component cabling, and not is like having a car with 5 gears and never going past 4th, IMHO.
I used to think there was no difference, but after further inspection, the Component Video output (I'm talking interlaced only... don't have progressive yet) does in fact give you a sharper image, and much better color definition, especially when watching animation with distinct lines and color contrasts (which is 90% of my viewing). For live-action, I think the difference would be less pronounced. But, if you have a progressive TV, you should be using your progressive outs. You know, I bet using 3 cheap composite cables as your component video cable will still give you a better picture than S-video.

Ed

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
For what it's worth, component should not in any way produce better (or different) blacks, once you've calibrated the TV for the new input. The luma channel is exactly the same for both component and S-Video. The only thing component gets you is higher chroma bandwidth, which means higher chroma frequencies. This allows for more detail in colored areas, potentially. Realistically, the differences on real world material are subtle.

All that said, I'd certainly use component if it's reasonable and convenient. While I haven't really ever found a specific DVD scene that demonstrates the superiority of component over S-Video, you certainly can see a vast difference on test patterns like chroma sweeps, so I'd just rather use the higher bandwidth connection.

Best,

Don

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
It also depends on the "synergy" of your components, and how well your component connections have been engineered (on either source or display device). Not all component connections live up to their full potential. There are in fact people who report a better picture in their set-up with S-Video, and I'm one of them.

I have a Panasonic plasma and Panasonic RP-91 DVD player, connected via S-Video. Even after professional ISF calibration of both my display's inputs, the S-Video signal provides the sharper, cleaner picture than my component input(if a teensy bit less rich in color info).

So, yes component should in theory look better, but it's not always the case in practice (as AV God Joe Kane has written as well).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kl899
I have a Panny RP62 that has the Farjouda chip in it.
kl899,

The Faroudja chip is a deinterlacer. S-video is interlaced and with it, the F chip is not used.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a projector with component in, so I could use the deinterlacing capability of the Farajouda chip too, so I think the component is probably the best choice for me

·
Registered
650 Posts
Let me echo Rich and say that the s-video out on the rp91 is amazing. Right now I prefer the rp91 + a good s-video capture (flyvideo2000 or Holo3D) + dscaler to the software dvd players (an all-digital path). This is because dscaler has better deinterlacing than the software players, and other than that I can't tell any difference in the picture quality. Plus there's the cool fatcor in using my rp91 with a $40 capture card and getting this level of quality. I expected component to be light years superior to s-video after reading these forums, and was quite suprised when I found out how theory and reality don't always match up. Now I'll agree that the s-video ins/outs on most consumer electronics are trash, but a well-implemented s-video can exceed my ability to detect any flaws vs. component.

Mike U.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Repost, I screwed up the photo!

I want to buy a rp62 with the Faroudja chip in it. I've read you id that model by a S/N with a "B" in it. Is this one?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.