AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subwoofer EQs - what does good look like?

So here I am going out to customers homes doing calibrations and I am constantly coming up against the lack of a good subwoofer crossover / EQ solution. Is anyone else having this same problem?

It got me thinking. What would a good subwoofer EQ look like?

- automated or manual setup? or maybe some combination of the two?

- FIR or IIR filters?

- how many subwoofers would it need to support? 2? 4? 8?

- what inputs would it need to have? XLR, RCA, Digital!!?

- how much should it cost?

- what are other people using and what drawbacks do those products have?

- would it incorporate a LPF? e.g. for rolloff of mains?

- would it incorporate a HPF? e.g. for subsonic rolloff?

My own preferences would lead me down the path of IIR filters, manual setup, 4 subwoofers, XLR inputs, yes to HPF, no to LPF, under $1000...what say ye all?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor /forum/post/20889014

Subwoofer EQs - what does good look like?

So here I am going out to customers homes doing calibrations and I am constantly coming up against the lack of a good subwoofer crossover / EQ solution. Is anyone else having this same problem?

It got me thinking. What would a good subwoofer EQ look like?

- automated or manual setup? or maybe some combination of the two?

- FIR or IIR filters?

- how many subwoofers would it need to support? 2? 4? 8?

- what inputs would it need to have? XLR, RCA, Digital!!?

- how much should it cost?

- what are other people using and what drawbacks do those products have?

- would it incorporate a LPF? e.g. for rolloff of mains?

- would it incorporate a HPF? e.g. for subsonic rolloff?

My own preferences would lead me down the path of IIR filters, manual setup, 4 subwoofers, XLR inputs, yes to HPF, no to LPF, under $1000...what say ye all?

If you want the auto-eq to be only as good as the latest Audessey, then there may not be much room for a new product when receivers are doing a better and better job with this.

Personally, I found it useful to have different settings based upon how many filled seats I have.
  • When there's only the center sweet spot filled, or I don't care about the other couple people's seats, then I have one set of filters that absolutely optimize for the best decay and flattest response at that seat.
  • For me and my wife, I had to make some compromises, but it's fairly flat for those two seats.
  • For the entire front row filled, more compromises.
  • Lastly for people sitting in the second row of seating too.

I did this manually with REW and the BFD, but having easy-to-set filter sets for which seat config could be built into a more automated, compact device.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.