AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rented an anime disc that combs all over the place on the RP82 and S2300. I've got many anime discs that have the occasional comb on these players, but this disc combs dozens to hundreds of times in any given half-hour episode. I looked at the still 'frames' in frame mode...it has 3:2 cadence maybe 70% of the time, but the rest of the time the cadence becomes very irregular. The cadence can pretty much hit any ratio and this disc has the most mixed cadence that I've seen. Dump it all flagged as 'video' and good luck to the DCDi trying to keep up.

After a while the combs were driving me nuts and the only solution I could find (without going upstairs to the 'regular' TV, which was in use) was to switch the player to interlaced output and put my Sony TV's doubler into 960i mode. Creates a little twitter on graphics and text that are a single scanline thick, but the combing is gone. I don't think I've ever used the 960i mode for anything other than sports until now...but the combs were killing me! The only way I could get a picture that I felt was watchable was by watching in a (doubled) interlaced mode. Not sure what I would do if I had a fixed-pixel device.

I wonder if any DVD player deinterlacer on the market can handle this. The DVD is Disc 1 of "You're Under Arrest" volume 1. It's only available in a 4-disc box right now but single discs are supposed to be out soon.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but if you're using an interlaced resolution, even at 960i, then the Sony does not need to deinterlace the video material, right? This would mean that it's not really fair to compare the results with the 480p output of the dvd players. I think the title of your thread might be a bit misleading in this regard.

Are there different modes that you can use on the Panasonic or Yamaha that might improve results? I'm curious as to how a Silicon Image chipset would perform on that disc.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but if you're using an interlaced resolution, even at 960i, then the Sony does not need to deinterlace the video material, right?
That's why I was careful to say the Sony was doubling, not deinterlacing. I've no intent to mislead, only to state that, in this rare case, that the TV has a line-doubling mode that is the better solution (at least if you are sensitive to combing).

Quote:
Are there different modes that you can use on the Panasonic or Yamaha that might improve results?
I used Auto1, Auto2, and Video on the RP82. I used Auto and Video on the S2300. Same results all around.

Quote:
I'm curious as to how a Silicon Image chipset would perform on that disc.
I'm very curious as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.