AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a link to the new S3 Graphics "Delta Chrome" display card that says they are the first to have an onboard HDTV encoder.
http://www.s3graphics.com/PO053-A1De...ew20030716.pdf

Just trying to understand the benefit here ... does this replace a transcoder and/or a holograph 3D card? I assume this doesn't provide any benefit in a system where your display already takes in RGBHV or has a VGA-compatible digital input - correct?

thanks,

bruce

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
well i would think hardware encoder would take a major load off the cpu.. so i would say this is a good thing..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oops, I didn't mean the holograph 3D card in my first post because that is an input card. I meant does it replace software for scaling, say, DVD resolution up to HDTV resolution.

thanks

bruce

·
Registered
353 Posts
Anyone have any idea when this card is going to be released? I'm very interested to see how well the Windows Media Video hardware acceleration works.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
"480p/720p/1080i/1080p component (YPbPr) output" - Maybe Powerstrip isn't needed, but it probably will not work with it either.

"Vertical over-/underscan compensation" - What no horizontal?

"Macrovision enabled for 480i/p mode" - I think that this means that it will allow you to view macrovision enabled DVDs at this resolution, anything higher and it is blank screen - same as the ATI dongle.

"IDCT hardware support" - so is the chip an options?

"Motion compensation" - should help with the micro-studders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.