AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as of a few days ago, my HTPC no longer wants to properly resume from sleep. The computer will appear to enter sleep mode fine, but when resuming, I get a "post error" and mentions something about my CPU clock and im asked if i want to try my last good configuration. The cpu is mildly overclocked (Athlon II 240 OC'd to 3.00ghz) but otherwise it hasn't been tinkered with. It has performed flawlessly for about a year now OC'd so this is pretty random.

I did some reading and seen everything from adjusting the voltages on the RAM/Northbridge/CPU, bad memory, or a failing PSU. I tested the memory yesterday and it passed so i've effectively ruled that out. Any thoughts/ideas as to the issue?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Spent some time tinkering last night and no dice. Based on what I see on HWmonitor, it looks like my PSU is still healthy. I also ran memtest86 again and the memory passed without errors. From there, I upped the voltage on the RAM to 1.9v and still no dice. At this point, im all out of ideas. any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Sounds like it could be PSU to me. That or the MB is going bad. Much easier and cheaper to try another PSU first.

If the PSU is not getting voltages up and in tolerance quickly enough it can cause just this sort of issue.

Of course I am assuming you did a rigorous (at least overnight, ideally 24 hours) memory test. Sleep/hibernate does seem to be able to stress memory more than, or at least differently to, most stability tools. Memory that is just beginning to fail can work fine in normal operation but have problems entering/resuming from standby.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I left memtest running overnight for about 6 hours and it passed so im fairly sure the memory is fine. I have a spare PSU lying around somewhere that Im going to try, although the voltages i saw on HWmonitor lead me to believe the PSU is still healthy (its only about 10 months old so its still relatively new). however, im hoping its not PSU related as the case I have (antec microfusion 350 remote) uses a proprietary PSU. if the PSU goes bad, I would need to buy a whole new microfusion case or buy a new case/psu. Interestingly enough, I noticed the problem started after I upgraded to the newest version of AVG free so I restored the computer to its state prior to the upgrade and it went into sleep mode fine a few times, then started acting up again, which leads me to believe the issue is software related.

I'm going to try swapping PSU's and testing the rig one RAM stick at a time to see if one of the sticks is bad and just not being indicated by memtest. Hopefully i figure this out!

EDIT - Just dawned on me that the message I remember seeing when resuming from sleep has to do with the CPU clock. I have the CPU undervolted In theory as the PSU ages it becomes less efficient and now im curious as to if it has reached the threshold where combined with the undervolt, it cannot get the voltages up quickly enough. Going to have to try my theory out later today

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
additionally, the case I have is a pretty tight case (antec microfusion 350 remote). the ram i purchased runs at a pretty high voltage. Im also starting to theorize that since this ram runs at a high voltage, it thus runs hot. combine this with a tight case and perhaps the heat has started damaging the sticks. just another theory I have on the issue.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Have you tried clearing out all CMOS settings by removing the battery and using the switch/jumper on the motherboard?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Never say never with computers. There is probably an exception to every rule. But failure to POST/BIOS issues are one of the few things that pretty much rules out a software problem.

I agree with tehowell it is worth trying resetting the BIOS, by removing the battery. Make sure you know all your settings first though!

Testing RAM one at a time is not a bad thing to try. But, from experience, my bet would still be on a power problem. Hopefully PSU, but it could be the MB power regulation circuitry if you are unlucky.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 /forum/post/19657374

Never say never with computers. There is probably an exception to every rule. But failure to POST/BIOS issues are one of the few things that pretty much rules out a software problem.

I agree with tehowell it is worth trying resetting the BIOS, by removing the battery. Make sure you know all your settings first though!

Testing RAM one at a time is not a bad thing to try. But, from experience, my bet would still be on a power problem. Hopefully PSU, but it could be the MB power regulation circuitry if you are unlucky.

yeah agreed 100% lol. im doing a little more research into the issue and from the looks of it, it seems that the majority of the people who have had the same issue, have solved it with a new PSU. luckily, i found out that the microfusion case does not use a proprietary PSU as i originally thought (it uses a TFX PSU, which are pretty easy to find). im just going to try my luck with the spare PSU i have and if it solves the issue, then I'll go ahead and order a new TFX PSU.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
If resetting the BIOS fixes it, be aware often there is an underlying cause for BIOS corruption. It could still be a memory or PSU issue. If the problem goes away but comes back a few days/weeks later do not keep resetting the BIOS. It would be time to look again at the power supply/memory.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 /forum/post/19657605

If resetting the BIOS fixes it, be aware often there is an underlying cause for BIOS corruption. It could still be a memory or PSU issue. If the problem goes away but comes back a few days/weeks later do not keep resetting the BIOS. It would be time to look again at the power supply/memory.

Duly noted. Thanks for the help. I've got a good list of things to try to see if I resolve this. Hopefully its something I can repair without having to fork over money since the holidays are among us and i've already dropped enough coin as it is on gifts for the family lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update

so the spare PSU i had lying around is bad (computer wont even post with it). I went back and put in the original one and made an interesting observation. HWmonitor is now reporting the +5 VCCH rail to be around 3.95-4.00. As far as i know, this rail powers the RAM/MB when shut down and in sleep, which throws up a flag about the condition of the PSU. I know HWmonitor is not very accurate so I will be testing it with a multimeter tomorrow. if the voltage is in fact that low, it would confirm my theory that the PSU is failing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/19668520

Your standby line could be low. I've had bulged capacitors on a power supply cause issues before. How old is the supply?

the PSU is not even a year old
. I tested it with a multimeter and it came back at 4.4volts, which is a little higher then the voltage indicated by HWmonitor but still low. Apparently, from what i've read thats on the low end but should still be fine enough. Regardless, I'm going to get in touch with antec today as the case/psu is still under warranty

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Not sure who is saying 4.4V should be OK. It should be within 5% of 5V and normally much better than that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts