AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am decidng between the two, but the local shops dont have either up for viewing. Have they been out long enough that we should see reviews in the mags? Or are those reviews already there. I have been a CRT, then LCD viewer for a while now, and, if I dont get headaches or see rainbows, will probably convert to DLP.

Does the marantz actually calibrate itself to a true 6500k? I have heard from a reviewer / isf'er that it is more like 8000k. I would be using either with a white screen, most likely.

Thanks for any insight..

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well, I am having the same problem in the Chicago area. No one has either to demo. Just but it, is what I hear. I don't think so. I have demoed the Runco 710, JVC Hx1 and the Dwin T3 (not +). But, I think you must see these other projectors before you make your decision. Stereophile home theater a couple of months ago raived about the Marantz S2. I have seen the sharp 10000, but it a had an outside $4000 scaler on it. Looked great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think there is one huge difference betwen these projectors, and it has nothing to do with picture quality. They are both awesome in that regards, and you will just be nitpicking minor points between the two.

The Sharp is a long-throw projector, and the Marantz is short-throw. I know you can get a long-throw lens for the S3, but it adds thousands of dollars to the price...

Which is better for your physical room setup? To me, that would be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
Epson 5050UB; 106" Da Lite HD Progressive 1.3 Screen; Denon 4700H AVR; Panasonic 820 Blu-ray Player
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by misterfan
I think there is one huge difference betwen these projectors, and it has nothing to do with picture quality.

The Sharp is a long-throw projector, and the Marantz is short-throw. ...... To me, that would be the deciding factor.
Isn't another important factor price? I thought the Marantz has a street price much higher than the Sharp. To me, that would be the most important factor.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hifiaudio2
Have they been out long enough that we should see reviews in the mags? Or are those reviews already there.
My review of the Sharp XV-Z12000 will be in the next issue of Widescreen Review. It should be mailed out in mid-Feb.

Greg Rogers

Widescreen Review

AccuPel

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the day off today, so I stopped by a local shop. They had the S2 on display, and as the first DLP I have seen in a long time, it looked pretty good. I did see a rainbow or two I believe, but it wasnt disctracting. How long should I watch before concluding that I won't get headaches? I guess if I picked up a used s3 at a great price, I could flip it if I cant stand watching it......

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to mention, on some scenes, I did see what looked liike "squiggly lines" in the detail on some scenes...is this just DVD edge enhancement? The dvd was Charlie's Angels, Superbit.

The salesman told me that HD2+ was basically marketing hype and that Runco (they push Runco very hard there) could do better than the HD2+ projectors with the HD2 chips they were using. They would sell the floor demo marantz S2 for $8999, which didnt sound like much of a deal at all.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ricwhite
Isn't another important factor price? I thought the Marantz has a street price much higher than the Sharp. To me, that would be the most important factor.
It is an important factor as you indicate but if your room has some restrictions on placement of the PJ, that can be the deciding factor.

Bomber

·
Registered
467 Posts
Quote:

The salesman told me that HD2+ was basically marketing hype and that Runco (they push Runco very hard there) could do better than the HD2+ projectors with the HD2 chips they were using. They would sell the floor demo marantz S2 for $8999, which didnt sound like much of a deal at all.
That's funny. It's amazing how blatantly sales people lie just to get sales. They push whatever gets them the most profits (this is a general statement, there are some knowledgeable guys out there).

I was in a high end store a couple months back and he said that they won't be carrying the Sharp 12K because it would be embarrassed by the Runco CL-710 and they wouldn't be able to sell any. That's when I had to excuse myself from his company.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
ricwhite, price is irrelevant if a projector has the wrong throw. No one rational would buy the less expensive model if it was the wrong throw. Of course price/performance is extremely important, but only when comparing pj's that fit your rooms criteria.

gregr, have you reviewed the Marantz S3?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Wow, last years used Marantz model (S2) for $8999? No thanks. You would think they would discount it a bunch more if they wanted to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I've seen the Sharp 10k, 12k and a Marantz S2 (in comparison with the 10k). The 10k and the S2 are very evenly matched. I would expect the 12k and S3 to be so as well. Like others here, I'd suggest considering the following:

1) Where do you want to put the projector relative to the screen? Look at the Marantz calculations for screen size and the Sharps. To put the projector closer, you'll be best with the Marantz. If it's further away, Sharp will win out. Personally, now that I can do it, I like my projector way behind me (out of the room, in my case).

2) Price if you happen to be lucky enough that both projectors would fill your screen in your room (there is some overlap, I believe), then price might be a good point. The Sharps generally are more aggressively discounted than Marantz. Sharp is more a "consumer" brand (even in a higher end piece like this) and plays to pricing pressures where as Marantz is generally only sold be higher end A/V dealers, many of which will not negotiate price (or only grudgingly dome down a few percent).

Beyond that, they are very similar and either is going to throw a great picture.

P.S. I think Marantz is doing themselves a disservice by limiting distribution and pricing. Sharp is winning most of these debates because the projectors are pretty much equals, but the Sharp can be had from many more places and for a lot less. If Marantz brought their distribution and pricing in line, I beleive they'd see a lot more sales and the slight (very slight) differences between the projectors would matter more.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey
P.S. I think Marantz is doing themselves a disservice by limiting distribution and pricing. Sharp is winning most of these debates because the projectors are pretty much equals, but the Sharp can be had from many more places and for a lot less. If Marantz brought their distribution and pricing in line, I beleive they'd see a lot more sales and the slight (very slight) differences between the projectors would matter more.
We sell every one we make. And if both projectors are fully calibrated and tweaked, I can show material that makes the differences not so slight.

:)

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone have any idea how well the autocalibration works on the S3? Will it get me close to 6500K, or better yet, D65?
Yes. And out of the box, it is already extremely close. It is more for compensating for the slight color shift as the bulb ages.

Dan

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Miller
We sell every one we make.
Sure, but you could make/sell even more than that :)

If you are doing that well, then certainly from your standpoint, there really isn't too much of a reason to lower prices. The market is bearing it. But I can still hope :)

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are both of these projectors advanced enough in the contrast / black level department that I can get away with a white screen? Gray screens have given fleshtones a greenish tint in the past for me, since I dont have any calibration devices that measure from the screen, and if I got the Marantz, it doesnt take the screen into account either, so I would like to stick with White if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
If your walls and ceiling are dark (ceiling is very important) then a white screen is great. This is what I am using for CES and CEDIA. If not, then use gray with gain.

Standard lens throw is 1.48 - 1.71

Long lens throw is 2.29 - 3.11

Both are times width.

:)

Dan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.