AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Skip to third paragraph for the actual question)

Hi. I apologize beforehand for any ignorance, because I'm new to home theatre systems in general. I'm right out of college, and obviously on a low budget, and some of my friends and I are going to share an apartment. We're considering that we each buy a component that is necessary for a media room that is decent for our tight budgets (TV, audio, game system, furniture). Since I love music (all types, from classical to hip-hop), I decided to take the sound.

First of all, after just a few hours of research, I'm on the conclusion that the s590's are likely the best (or at least one of the best) receiver and speakers I can get (even considering buying by components) for

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
HTIB systems in general come packaged with poor quality speakers and sub. Cost have to be cut somewhere to compete in the market. What seperates Onkyo and Yamaha HTIB systems from the rest is they include a quality stand alone receiver that you'd get if you purchase one seperate, but the speakers and sub are still going to be of inferior quality.

Now, will you be happy with music with the quality of speakers and sub these systems provide, only you can answer that, if you're a casual listener and just want some good sound with a bit of help from the sub, probably so. If you listen at above normal volumes, want great claraty, seperate and tight puchy bass, "NO".

I don't know what your budget is but from what idea I get of what you're wanting you might want to consider starting out slow with a good quality 5.1 receiver and a pair of speakers, this will get you well on your way to a system that will blow away an htib package, of course your cost are going to be more in the end. If you could list an exact budget would help in deciding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Thanks for your reply! So unfortunately, my budget is very little. Its probably somewhere between the cost of the refurbed s590 to the cost of the refurb s790 max, so $150 to $350 with a preference to spend the lower to middle end and will only spend higher end if its really a jump in quality? Is it possible to buy a good receiver and two good speakers as a core to build up from with that range of money? I'd definitely give that option a consideration.

I've almost resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably just get mediocre music quality though. Comparing just the s590 and s790 in terms of music playback quality only, is the difference in quality more, less, or comparable to what the price difference would indicate?

I feel like I'll probably end up getting one of those two, though any other suggestions would be gladly considered.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Yeah it's possible to start out with 2 good quality bookshelvs that will blow away the inferior speakers in an htib package. You could even do it in a 5 speaker system although they are smaller speakers they are still very good quality and leaps above htib speakers.

Example 1:

Onkyo 504 receiver $159

1 pair Athena B1.2 speakers $119

Total $278

Example 2:

Onkyo 504 receiver $159

Vedolyne CHT Front row speaker system $200

Total $359

You'd still need a sub with eather option but it would put you well on your way to a nice budget system. The chts are smaller and more comparable in size to the ones included but as far as quality and performance they are in a different league. Nice package for the price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

Is it possible to buy the S590 set, and replace the speakers piece/pair at a time? Is the receiver in the S590 set good enough that I can add the speakers you just mentioned around it, without making the speakers sound worse? Because I would like to do the approach to slowly build a budget system, but I don't have the money to buy the receiver, 2 speakers, AND the subwoofer like you suggested, but I would still like to have a working system for now at least.

So is it feasible to buy the S590s, and then maybe buy one of the pairs of speakers you mentioned in the post a few months later to replace some speakers that came in the bundle? And then keep on adding speakers over time? That would allow me to have a system right now, while giving me the flexibility to upgrade later.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawde84 /forum/post/0

Thanks for the suggestions.

Is it possible to buy the S590 set, and replace the speakers piece/pair at a time? Is the receiver in the S590 set good enough that I can add the speakers you just mentioned around it, without making the speakers sound worse? Because I would like to do the approach to slowly build a budget system, but I don't have the money to buy the receiver, 2 speakers, AND the subwoofer like you suggested, but I would still like to have a working system for now at least.

So is it feasible to buy the S590s, and then maybe buy one of the pairs of speakers you mentioned in the post a few months later to replace some speakers that came in the bundle? And then keep on adding speakers over time? That would allow me to have a system right now, while giving me the flexibility to upgrade later.

Thanks

That's exactly what I did, I purchased the S580 which is the previous model and ebayd my speakers and sub as a combo and replaced them. It's the same thing as putting together a seperate system because Onkyo and Yamaha put stand alone quality receivers in their systems. The speakers still are inferior but at least they include a quality receiver same as you'd get with buying a comparable seperate receiver.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/0

That's exactly what I did, I purchased the S580 which is the previous model and ebayd my speakers and sub as a combo and replaced them. It's the same thing as putting together a seperate system because Onkyo and Yamaha put stand alone quality receivers in their systems. The speakers still are inferior but at least they include a quality receiver same as you'd get with buying a comparable seperate receiver.

I, too, am considering the same thing. I understand the speakers included with the S590s are not high quality speakers. But hey, they work. And at least I don't need to go out and shell out more money for 2 or 4 speakers, a center speaker AND the subwoofer right away.

My real concern is the receiver. I don't need the best/highest quality receiver, but I don't want the lowest either. I know Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer and Sony, among other audio companies such as Denon, Panasonic, JVC, Sherwood and Harman Kardon make some really nice receivers that kick butt. So I'm wondering should I go this route with the Onkyo S590s and get better speakers, or go with a quality receiver and build from there? In other words, is the S590s really a decent receiver for home use if some nice speakers replace the ones in the box? Opinions?

Also, see my post in this forum "HT-DDW900...something odd" that asks more questions about higher end receivers. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
You won't have any problem with the sound quality of that receiver in relation to other budget receivers out there. I started with that receiver althogh the receiver that came in the 580 package, basically the same thing with less connection options and I've demoed 6 stand alone receivers since then in the same system with the same speakers and the same exact setup that I had with that receiver. IMO it heald it's own with all of them and imo to my ears which is subjective to the listener I thought it had a better sound.

The only drawback with going with that receiver and upgrading around it "might be" lack of connectivity options later down the road, that's the only reason I'm trying to find a receiver to replace it now. But if you've considered that and don't feel it will be a problem, there is no reason not to go with it and build around it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yep bought this system and have replaced the Center channel with a Paradigm and actually i have a post up atm on wich to change/upgrade next. Most seem to agree to do Fronts next then my sub then the surrounds then if i feel i need to the receiver. Good luck not a bad Onkyo receiver IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.