AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a box coming from TWC on Saturday, my question is does this box only output at 16:9?

I have a Sony 32" HV600 (4:3), will the 3100HD only give me a shrunken 4:3 picture with black bars on the sides? Can I use the S-video out to get a full screen 4:3? Is there another box, I heard something about with 800 something number with a hard-drive, that would allow adjustment of the proportion? I am forever doomed to watch a tiny 4:3 pic within my larger screen?

Any response would be appreciated.

-rob

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The component video outputs a 16:9 frame only, so a 4:3 window-boxed program on component would appear as a smaller 4:3 area on a 4:3 set. The composite or s-video outputs will be full frame 4:3 however. Switch between them for 4:3 vs 16:9 HD programs. This is the disadvantage of using a 4:3 HD set, since the HD standard is 16:9, its easier if you use a widescreen set.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The "800 something" won't be available in an HD version until mid-next year, but it still wouldn't solve the 16:9 into a 4:3 issue, as it will still be 16:9 out the component outputs.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Greg,

S/A recently announced the 4200HD which will allow scaling/stretch zoom, hopefully when the 8000HD comes out they will continue to offer this feature.

From the press release:

The Explorer 4200HD home gateway will be able to display video at user selectable scan rates of 480i, 480P, 720P, or 1080i out of the HDTV outputs. In addition, the user will be able to stretch and zoom the video picture to maximize the viewable area on HDTV displays .

Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.