AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I searched for quite a while but couldn't really find anything that was like my problem. I found the threads about the audio drop out, and video freezes, but those really don't truly describe my problem. When I am watching Live TV, only on Digital and HD channels, every now and then my picture will go black and the sound will cut out for about a quick second, and then both will return, and then both will cut out again, and return. It continues this for a random amount of time, sometimes lasting for up to 5 minutes, sometimes as short as 20 seconds. I have tried changing picture format and every other option I changed from "out of the box" operation, but still it's doing it. Even if I change channels while it's doing it, it continues on the other channel.

I'm using HDMI from the box directly to the TV, and Coaxial out to my little receiver for audio.

I can hear the Hard Drive working when it does it, it seems like it's working overload.

ROM Image Version: 1.5.3.1001

SARA Version: 1.90.5.103

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Sometimes the old reliable 'cold boot' (unplugging ~60 secs) fixes this. Also, don't put too many recordings on the disc. Occasional brief digital-type glitches like this aren't unusual, but they shouldn't be repetitive enough to really spoil viewing. Might be worthwhile trying YPbPr viewing, too, just to see if that clears the problem. If it continues, a cable tech should check cable signal levels over several frequency bands with a meter, then swap STBs as a last resort. If one exists here, a local forum for your cable system might provide tips, such as similar complaints. -- John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took a video of the problem... this was while using HDMI... I switched to Component and still have the same problem. Tried forced reset, format, unplugging and waiting 30 mins and plugging back in, etc.

Here's the link since I got 3 posts...

Youtube - SA 8300HDC Problem

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Clever technique. Sure beats screen snaps. Still wonder if YPrPb does that cutout. Seems like something a cable tech, or a supervisor with more experience, couldn't ignore. But to eliminate the display as culprit, suppose not having the blanking present with a HD-disc input, or another HD source, would clinch the 8300HDC being the problem. Cable techs used to sometimes bring along small displays to pin down tough cases; not sure if they still do with all-digital problems. -- John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason /forum/post/12998491

Clever technique. Sure beats screen snaps. Still wonder if YPrPb does that cutout. Seems like something a cable tech, or a supervisor with more experience, couldn't ignore. But to eliminate the display as culprit, suppose not having the blanking present with a HD-disc input, or another HD source, would clinch the 8300HDC being the problem. Cable techs used to sometimes bring along small displays to pin down tough cases; not sure if they still do with all-digital problems. -- John

Yeah it doesn't do it with my xbox360 via DVI, or my Regular Xbox via Component, or my PC over HDMI... it's just the box, regardless of whether it's HDMI or Component (YPrPb, like you said). Time to get it swapped I guess... My single is also kind of weak.. I live in an apartment, so at the box where it comes in, there's a 4-way splitter, and then an immediate 2-way splitter for the 5 cable outlets in the house. One of those runs up into my room, and is then split again for our cable modem, and then one to my PVR. I think I might look into a good bi-directional signal booster, but I don't know, because it seems like they just cause more problems than they solve. Maybe I need to call Comcast and have them come out and update the splitters with new ones.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
^^^A good check for weak signals is just bypassing all the splitters and see if the direct link eliminates the problem. If so, let the cable company install their hardware as a fix. -- John

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same problem and discovered (by using the on screen stats menu) that the signal was weak due to a splitter. I bought a Radio Shack signal booster and the problem was solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts