AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scientific Atlanta's 8000 series DVR will soon be using the existing cable plant in your house to digitally multicast up to 4 different (or same) programs at once. It looks like the 8000 will be the local digital server and virtually any other SA digital cable box on your account in your home will be able to have two way access to the digitally streamed and encrypted content in real time.

Very Cool! :cool:

Link to SA 8000 DVR Multi-room whitepaper (pdf)

Anybody want DVR cable outlets in every room?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

vegggas

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't believe no one has jumped on this yet!

We all know the 8000 HD DVR is in testing and coming this year, and this enhancement, makes it an extremly unique and worthy product.

No network needed, no sending shows, nothing else required other than having your existing non DVR digital cable box acces the DVR to playback and control the content.

You can essentially have your own VOD system in your home. All the content can be stored on the DVR in the HT room, but played back anywhere, and in multiple locations at the same time, each with their own control.

Is there anything else even close to this???

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
This would be cool. But if you did have 4 then you could record 8 shows at once rather than only 2. Assuming that the new 8000hd can record 2 shows at once like the 8000. Also this is likley to have no archiving, not to mention you can't skip commercials or take to a friends house to watch. I will stick with my Replytv, untill Vividlogics firebus for XP software is released.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats the whole point. You only need one DVR for the whole house. The dual recordable DVR acts like a streaming video server to any other cable box in your house. You just pick up the remote in the bedroom and goto the VOD channel. That activates the DVRs output (located in living room for example). You choose the program you want to watch and control it, just like you were in front of the DVR. At the same time, up to 3 other rooms can do the same thing on any of the original DVRs programming they want. I assume that if you want to stream HD, it would reduce the number of multiple streams coming out of the box.
Quote:
Also this is likley to have no archiving, not to mention you can't skip commercials or take to a friends house to watch. I will stick with my Replytv, untill Vividlogics firebus for XP software is released.
That can be said for ALL digital HD DVRs that can record non OTA material. If you want to stick to analog for those features, the Replay is fine - I have two of them already - Unfortunately, they will not timeshift HD or digital cable like this product can and especially won't let me stream that content, in real time, to any other room in the house.

vegggas

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I don't see where this whitepaper claims that this 4 room streaming server trick will work with the HD version of the DVR. We can hope, but 4 HD video streams would require several times the bandwidth of 4 SD TiVo quality ones.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I said in my last post:
Quote:
I assume that if you want to stream HD, it would reduce the number of multiple streams coming out of the box.
If I were to guess the technology behind the idea, I would envision a modulator sending a return signal back through the input AS IT ALREADY DOES for digital return signals to the headend or data node. Most notably this is how the IPG (interactive guide) works. That same data carrier could also stream the stored digital data to any other authorized cable box in the home.

When the whitepaper mentions up to 4 streams, it is talking about SD streams. If it were pushing an HD stream, my guess is that it would stream only one to another box, while watching a primary a HD signal directly off the DVR. With those basic assumptions, you could watch two prerecorded HD shows at once, in two different places.

The basic hardware for the technology already exists in all 2-way cable boxes. The leap to providing part of the return signal to other cable boxes is not much at all, and should easily be deployable. The trick is to update the firmware in all the devices to take advantage of this feature, which should be easy enough. I can envision a single DVR in a home and a great use for older, standard boxes to be used as cheap clients to recieve the streaming.

vegggas

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
I sure hope they improve the throughput of the SA 8000 to accomplish this because my experiences with it over the past few months leave something to be desired with respect to horsepower. It has enough trouble just recording one or two programs simultaneously now and feeding one TV, let alone four!!

Eric

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is it for playback?

On another thread, I had read that some people were having issues with the SA version of DVR software, but that the Pioneer version was a lot better. The SA software is buggy for some MSO's, and SA is working on upgrade patches. By the time this rolls out nationwide, we should expect improvements in all versions of software.

vegggas

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've used the SA 8000 DVR. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I don't care for the GUI, but it seems to get the job done and is fairly responcive. Certainly better than the 3100 was for VOD.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott
I don't see where this whitepaper claims that this 4 room streaming server trick will work with the HD version of the DVR.
My thoughts exactly... and if the HD version did get this functionality, this sounds like it might be an 11th-hour addition to the feature list of the 8000HD (since there's no mention in any earlier press releases that I've seen), which could conceivably delay rollout. I think this would be an excellent feature and can only hope that it would be included on the HD version of the box, but I also want my HD DVR as soon as possible!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the 8000 hooked up to a 3250 in another room and am

pumping movies over to it via coax out/in pic quality is super

since 3250 kicks all content coming in to 1080i out as it passes

thru the 3250 the features of the 8000 as long as 3250 is set

to channel 3. Happy viewing and I am sure it would do the same

for more rooms with a cable spliter on the coax out from

the 8000 to other rooms.

alohas

:)