AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SA HD8300 cable box (Comcast), and a Vizio VF550M TV I just bought. I run these through my Denon AVR-790.

I want to make sure I have everything setup right.

I went into the advanced mode of the HD8300 and turned on most of the resolutions. I think 480i and one other looked fuzzy so I left them out. I can see 720p, 1080i and 480p stations.

I went into Settings on the HD8300 and set it to Picture Format: Auto HDMI/DVI.

When I hit Program Guide and I am in a 1080i show, it puts the bars on the side. I guess the box can't display the guide in 1080i? When I am in 480p stations the guide displays in 480p and it looks fine. Its like the guide takes on the resolution of whatever station your watching, since it does PiP.

When I go into FoxHD or CWHD it puts vertical bars on the side, yet in CBSHD it looks fine, and yet all of these are 720p stations. Does anyone know what could be going on here?

· Registered
7,918 Posts
If the channel in question is broadcasting an SD program at the time, they may add bars to keep the original aspect ratio. Confirm you're watching something that is actually broadcast as HD, not upconverted SD.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.