AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a SA recorder this evening and was wondering what would be recomended? Do any of the Non-HDD equipped recorders have any editing capabilities at all? I will be using it to transfer episodes of Alias and Smallville I have stored on my Dtivo, and would like the option of being able to trim the begining and end and maybe the commercials as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
You can not edit any video content for DVD-R/+R. Obviously with a hard drive, you can do edits and then burn to DVD-R. This is why I feel a hard drive is essential at this point in the format war. You can edit video content with DVD-RAM, DVD+RW (editing capabilities depend on recorder), and DVD-RW VR mode (video record mode) discs. Unfortunately all of the 3 editable formats have lousy compatibility with most DVD Players.

Good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I decided to just spend the extra money and get the e80 with the 80gig hard drive.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Many of us do rudimentary editing using the old "pause and shuttle" technique from back in the day of VCR dubs. This of course does not need a hard drive and is orders of magnitude easier than the shamelessly spartan editing interface on current DVDR's (Sony does it a bit better), but of course there is the caveat that you must be there to pause when the commercial comes up. But I still prefer that to spending even more of my life programming edits into the remote of a E80. If you don't mind a few seconds of commercials sneaking in (we'll just FFWD past them at some point anyway) this method is tried and true, and probably takes less time and effort in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.