AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through more posts here and elsewhere than I care to recall. I've gathered lots of info about what almost could work. But I've got to ask the question and hope for a simple answer.

I just received a new SA8000hd tuner to replace my SA8000 - I would like to be able to archive some shows as I did with my SA8000.

I have Time Warner Cable - Western Ohio with Passport Echo software.

I have one set of componet cables - a dvd+r unit (with componet 480p/480i in and out & rca jacks and s-vid in and out) - and one HD ready tv.

Can the unit be made to archive? How?

Do I need anything else (extra cables, box?) to make it work more effectively?

Can HD be recorded by my dvd+r or can only shows that were recorded in sd be archived.

Thanks - from a new - non technical user.

· Registered
29,703 Posts
If you activate PIP (Picture In Picture), the second tuner displayed in the small PIP window will output composite while the other tuner on the main screen will output component. With PIP off, both tuners output component. You can also set the machine up in "settings" to output 480i, in which case the main screen will output composite, but you won't have HD.

· Registered
13,531 Posts
See the DVD recorders forum for more on units with component inputs.

Note these DVD recorder products can only record 480i through component, not 480p or HDTV.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
For those who do not have the "Archive to VCR" feature and want to copy from the DVR to a VCR or DVD recorder:

1. Connect the VCR or DVD recorder to the 8000HD with an S-video cable.

2. Split the audio out with Y-cords to the TV and VCR/DVD recorder.

3. Change the 8000HD from HD mode to SD mode (480i output). Power Off, push GUIDE and INFO buttons on the box simultaneously, wait until the display says SD, push Triangle A key on remote, Power On.

4. You can now record at 480i analog whatever is coming out of the 8000HD.

· Registered
1,865 Posts
If I connect the Component Out to an HDTV set and the "Archive to VCR" output to a VCR or DVD-R recorder, are those two outputs active simultaneously?

What I mean is: can I watch 16:9 HDTV while the analog output simultaneously feeds the VCR or DVD recorder?

· Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
What I mean is: can I watch 16:9 HDTV while the analog output simultaneously feeds the VCR or DVD recorder?
The SA8000HD does not have simultaneously HD and SD output for the current channel. However, from the Recorded List, you can select "Save to VCR" and it will output that recording in SD over composite at the same time that you are watching live or recorded HD using the component output.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
The SA8000HD does not have simultaneously HD and SD output for the current channel. However, from the Recorded List, you can select "Save to VCR" and it will output that recording in SD over composite at the same time that you are watching live or recorded HD using the component output.
The "Archive to VCR" feature is forthcoming in a software update for many users. I posted the best way above to change the 8000HD to "SD" output to a VCR.

· Registered
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by telemike
For those who do not have the "Archive to VCR" feature and want to copy from the DVR to a VCR or DVD recorder:
So this would work for an HD program as well, it would just be downcoverted to 480i? So I could possibly use a very good TV capture card and record an anamorphically squeezed SD version of an HD show to my PC, that I could then turn around and make an anamorphic DVD with? But it would be analog though, so I would be losing a LOT of quality here, even more than just down-rezzing HD to DVD quality?

· Registered
1,172 Posts
The output using this method will be downconverted 480i. You can use the stretch and zoom modes to do anamorphic or letterbox widescreen output to the vcr. There is no way to get the digital data off the encrypted hard drive. The only output option you have is 480i SD either thru S-Video, composite video or Coax RF by setting the box in SD mode.

· Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by telemike
3. Change the 8000HD from HD mode to SD mode (480i output). Power Off, push GUIDE and INFO buttons on the box simultaneously, wait until the display says SD, push Triangle A key on remote, Power On
Wow. I never heard the procedure you describe for switching to SD Mode. I thought that it was the same under SARA and Passport--CHAN + and VOL - simultaneously on the STB until you see "Sd" in the LED display (with the power "On"), with the same thing to reverse it--at least that's what works with Passport here in San Diego (the initial poster said that he was using Passport).

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott
Wow. I never heard the procedure you describe for switching to SD Mode. I thought that it was the same under SARA and Passport--CHAN + and VOL - simultaneously on the STB until you see "Sd" in the LED display (with the power "On"), with the same thing to reverse it--at least that's what works with Passport here in San Diego (the initial poster said that he was using Passport).
I'll try this new method and see

· Registered
211 Posts
I just got the box on Saturday. It has the latest update as referenced above & has been performing flawlessly (so far), with none of the problems described above. The HD pic is MUCH better than my old SA box (BTW, I was the first non-TW executive to get an HD box in NYC, back in 11/01--they told me that I was the 6th box installed in the City!), so I've had TWHD for quite a while, and the picture from the SA8000HD is WAY better than what I had before, even the SD channels look miles better with the upconversion. I have a Sony 36XBR-450, and It displays SD as full 4x3 thru the Component 1 input (I didn't even know that 4X3 could be displayed there!), so now I can watch everything thru component & my wife can deal with changing the channels! There IS a delay whenever the TV switches aspect ratios, but it's a small price to pay. I have the box connected to the TV via the component inputs (no audio is connected to the TV), and everything else (digital & analog audio using the regular analog output, not the archive one, and S-video) is routed thru my receiver (Yamaha DSP-A1). The S-VHS is also connected only to the receiver, and I tape everything using Line1). All I have to do is switch to SD via the 2-button push,and everything works just like it did before I got the box. It doesn't matter if the VCR is turned on or not, and CH3 doesn't figure in to this (but it works also). Thanks to all of you for your expert advice on archiving, as it was driving me crazy all weekend!

BTW: My box displays the multi-page info on CH 1999.

BTW, BTW: I have it set to 1080i & 480P 4X3 stretch.

· Registered
20,517 Posts
telemike, I tried what you described and it didn't do anything on my box (turning it off and holding down GUIDE and INFO elicits no response after 20 seconds).

What I'd advise him to do would be to connect the S-video and analog RCA audio outs into his recorder (assuming that he's using coax or optical digital audio input from the STB into his receiver). To record, switch the television to whatever input is connected to the recorder's output, set the recorder's input to LINE and put the cable box into SD Mode. He should be able to control the cable STB while viewing its GUI through the recorder.

· AVS Forum Special Member
11,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Geller

BTW, BTW: I have it set to 1080i & 480P 4X3 stretch.
So how does this look on 16:9 screens? With my DCT6208 from RCN Cable the stretching looks grotesque, worsened by a big slice of noisy analog channels.

· Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
So how does this look on 16:9 screens? With my DCT6208 from RCN Cable the stretching looks grotesque, worsened by a big slice of noisy analog channels.
It doesn't stretch 16X9 stuff (the HD channels), and if CH 704 is showing 4X3 programming (like Conan), the grey side bars remain. It only stretches 4X3 material (and only then allows you to mess with the ratio) to fill the entire screen with the right ratio for SD programming, which it upconverts to 480P. All ratios are perfectly displayed.

Remember, I have a 4X3 XBR, that does the squeeze for HDTV and anamorphic DVDs, but displays 4X3 full screen.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by archiguy
If you activate PIP (Picture In Picture), the second tuner displayed in the small PIP window will output composite while the other tuner on the main screen will output component. With PIP off, both tuners output component. You can also set the machine up in "settings" to output 480i, in which case the main screen will output composite, but you won't have HD.
Also from TWC Passport thread post #169 -

Quote:
Originally posted by margoba
You have two options.

1. You can connect your VCR to the "VCR Archive" connectors (composite video) on the back of the 8000hd. Then, anything you play in the PIP window will also be routed to the VCR Archive connectors. The problem with this, for me, is that the PIP window seems to automatically close itself after 30 minutes of "inactivity". You can get around this by using the remote to move the PIP window about every 20 minutes. A pain in the neck, but it works.

2. Put the 8000HD into SD mode (simultaneously press the Ch+ and Vol- keys on the box itself to toggle between HD mode and SD mode). Then the video comes out of the coax and s-video connectors, so you can connect one of those to your VCR. I just discovered this a few days ago, and I've tested it in principle, but I haven't actually recorded a videotape yet, so there are no guarantees.

-barry
Over the weekend I tied these methods - I was able to record both a one hour show and a two hour movie using the PIP method. The cables were connected to the middle jacks and I moved the PIP window every so often (about 25 minutes) - setting a timer so as not to forget.

Also since I only have one set of componet cables - I didn't mess with settings and trying to get 480i output.

I wasn't able to get a picture out of the machine while switching it from SD/HD - it did display SD or HD following istruction - but as soon as I turned on the box - it would go to HD mode.

So there is still some more investigastion to these other methods. However it can archive using this hands on method. Getting the other methods to work would be better.

Also - I answered in a pm that I use philips dvd+r 72 -FYI

· Registered
1,172 Posts
From the 8000HD manual:

How Do I Choose

the Screen Type?

1. Turn on the TV.

2. Do not turn the 8000HD on yet.

3. Press the INFO and GUIDE buttons on the front of the 8000HD

simultaneously.

4. Follow the easy instructions on the TV screen.

5. Press the CBL and POWER keys on the remote control, and the 8000HD

will turn on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.