AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the SA8300 and like it except for one thing. I have a 4:3 HDTV capable of 1080i which also has a widescreen mode which squeezes the top and bottom of the picture. On my old cable box (from Cox) I would switch to 1080i on HD channels and 480i on SD channels and the picture was properly formated with the squeeze feature on the HD channels. With the 8300, when I choose 1080i, it's like the picture is zoomed in so that their is no black bars on the top, but the picture is clipped on the sides. I noticed this last night on the PBS channel because the PBS logo was cut off on the lower right. How can I get this to not zoom the picture in. I'm sure this is not a function of my TV. I've tried setting the TV up as both a widescreen and 4:3. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
998 Posts
unknowing,

There are three things that have to be set up properly.

1. In the initial video setup you need 480i and 1080i enabled.

2. In the video mode you need passthrough enabled.

3. Use the # key lower right to select between normal zoom and stretch.

With passthrough working properly you should get a full screen when the channel is Standard Def. (SD).

TerryB

PS Check out the SA 8300HD COX cable (SARA) thread at the top of this forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I reset the box and that fixed it. However, I did read earilier about pressing the # key, but I don't see that on my remote. Do I have a different remote that you guys? Or maybe I'm just blind. Where is it on the remote?

Greg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I don't have a number sign there. I have an enter button there. I assume that is not the same?

Greg

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Enter is a different button than #. Sounds like they gave you a limited remote for the non-HD boxes, ask the cable company for the advanced remote control they usually have several models of them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does this mean on my 55A20 I should have 480 and 720 enabled in my SA8300? What should I use as my settings on the TV for the Normal, Wide, Zoom, etc.?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.