AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if there's a solution to my problem.

My local cable company (cablevision) does not offer all of the local HD channels (only Fox and NBC). I am currently on D* and get all my local HD through an outside antenna (works great with no dropouts). However, D* offers no HD-DVR which my local cable company now offers (SA 8300) and I would like to make the switch.

I won't make the switch if I have to give up my local HD channels. Is there any way to set up the 8300 HD to receive the HD antenna signal? I know it has 2 tuners so I was hoping one of the tuners could receive an external antenna signal (similar to how my current D* HD receiver has an antenna input and a satellite input). Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsont
Is there any way to set up the 8300 HD to receive the HD antenna signal?
No

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. What would happen if I put a switch before the cable in line and switched between my antenna and cable service? Would the 8300HD refuse to recognize the antenna input?

·
Registered
912 Posts
The 8300 will not recognize your antenna signal at all. What you need is an ATSC tuner to be able to tune in the Over The Air (OTA) antenna signal. The 8300 DOES NOT have one of these tuners. The two tuners it has only tune in QAM (cable) channels. There is no way for a QAM tuner to tune in OTA signals period end of story. You should be able to purchase an OTA tuner from several retailers and sometimes they are on sale for something like $99. Of course these tuners will not have DVR capabilities so you won't be able to record the HD channels they tune in.

My tv (Toshiba 57" RP) has built in ATSC tuner so I use it to pick-up my OTA locals.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Quote:
My local cable company (cablevision) does not offer all of the local HD channels (only Fox and NBC). I am currently on D* and get all my local HD through an outside antenna (works great with no dropouts). However, D* offers no HD-DVR which my local cable company now offers (SA 8300) and I would like to make the switch.
Why do you say "D* offers no HD-DVR". The HD-Tivo (HR10-250) should be exactly what you need. Did I miss something?

- Mike

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if there's a solution to my problem.

I won't make the switch if I have to give up my local HD channels. Is there any way to set up the 8300 HD to receive the HD antenna signal? I know it has 2 tuners so I was hoping one of the tuners could receive an external antenna signal (similar to how my current D* HD receiver has an antenna input and a satellite input). Any thoughts?

Thanks.
are you in CT ? here in NJ and NY we get CBS-HD, NBC-HD, FOX-HD, ABC-HD, WB-HD and PBS-HD. only one missing is upn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.