AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Envision 42" HDTV viewing HD cable via a SA8300HD box. I get incredible HD pictures via HDMI but have an annoying problem when viewing most SD channels. The picture does not reach the top of the screen and there are white flickering lines at the very top.

(see picture).

They are only present while viewing SD channels via HDMI. If I switch to component cables the SD picture is perfect. I have searched this forum and others for an answer with no results. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You are seeing some of the scan lines between the frames. These scan lines carry non-picture information including closed captioning, for example. I can see this on some SD signals I receive from DirecTV. Like you I don't see it on the HD versions. You see them because your TV is showing the entire SD frame. TVs are designed to have a small percent of overscan, usually under 5%, which will actually remove tiny amounts of the picture around the four sides of the TV, but it will hide these lines. When overscan is very small or non-existent, these lines will be seen. I am not sure if it a problem with the adjustment of your set or the output of your cable box. My TV allows adjustment of overscan (I have a commercial Panasonic plasma), but I leave it at only about 2% because I almost never watch SD signals now.

SMK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.