AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a nasty problem with one of my 8300's since my local TWC 'gatored me about a month back. For the first week or so, everything was fine. Then, I started to sporadically lose picture and sound, except for a few analog channels (and even then the picture was snowy). The guide would still come up, and I could access and play any pre-recorded material from my programming list, I just couldn't tune into any digital channels, and some of the analog ones. Then, it got worse. Not only couldn't I get any channels to come in, a blank guide template would come up with no text in the boxes when I hit "guide", and while I could still see my programming list, if I tried to play something, a box would pop-up and say it was "unavailable" and to "try again later". No amount of re-boots here or triggered from TWC's offices makes a difference.

I've had a tech out here a couple of times and he says he thinks it might be signal strength, specifically the "return" signal strength ("send" is apparently much stronger) - meaning 2-way communication with TWC High Command is somehow necessary for the box to function, even to play pre-recorded stuff. He also said that Passport, which I had for years, was better at dealing with marginal signal strength than this cursed Navigator software.

The weirdest part? I have a second, newer SA8300HD with a 500 GB expansion drive that's working flawlessly, even as the other one, without an expansion drive, has spiraled into the abyss. Two identical boxes, split with the same dB splitter from the same feed, behaving entirely differently.

Has anyone seen anything like this on their SA8300HD? The last tech guy said he thought an in-house amplifier might solve my problems. I tend to think it's not the box because the 8300 is pretty bulletproof for a DVR, and I don't want to lose the stuff I've got recorded but haven't watched yet. Any comments?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Have you tried switching the cables off of the splitter or beter yet have you tried swithing the boxes since it may just be a deteiroiting cable end connection?

·
Registered
28,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/14174372

Have you tried switching the cables off of the splitter or beter yet have you tried swithing the boxes since it may just be a deteiroiting cable end connection?

Yeah, we switched cables and outputs from the splitter just to check. The cables are fine. Be nice if it were that simple.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts