AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted in another thread that they bought a store floor model/demo Replay 4XXX unit. Because it was a demo it was fully functional, which means someone (most likely the store) paid to activate it. Thus, when the person brought it home it was already activated--saving the cost of a monthly or lifetime service fee (at least $250).

Now I know that DirectTV provides corporate demo cards for in-store use only, allowing those units to get all the services (except PPV and p0rn) for showing customers the hundreds of channels you can get. I don't think SB makes corporate Replay demo units available, which means any store that demos a Replay must have paid the activation fee at some point.

So if we all go around convincing stores to sell us the floor model (at a slightly discounted price, natch, since it's *used* for God's sake), we can get a pass on the activation fee. Is that stealing or just saavy consumer shopping? I'd say the latter since *someone* paid the activation fee. It just wasn't us.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is not theft. Since SB ties the lifetime fee to the unit, they shouldn't be able to restrict it.

As for a demo mode, in the paper work I recieved with my 4532, it did have a page about a demo mode a store could activate. I'm not sure what features would be activated in demo mode.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If it was activated by the store, then when the unit was purchased, the activation was bought at the same time.

Just my lousy $0.02 worth....

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Of course, if the store paid, it should have paid monthly. It's not like they planned on keeping the unit on display for 2+ years.

I see nothing wrong with using the unit. If it asks you to subscribe, you can do it then.

Robert

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
"The activation is tied to the unit", I'm with Reden

·
Registered
72 Posts
No They bought a used unit. If you look on Ebay you will find 4500 and 5000 series units with lifetime subs for sale. THe store is no different. They sold a unit with a life time sub. .02 cents

Guyver

·
Registered
478 Posts
Precisely. If they didn't charge enough for it, that's their own problem.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Originally posted by pianoman41
Quote:
Someone posted in another thread that they bought a store floor model/demo Replay 4XXX unit.
Has anyone thought that this "4xxx" might be a 4040 or 4080 or 4160 or 4320? Which, by the way, came from the factory with a lifetime subscription, hence, no foul - just a great deal.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by whirly
Originally posted by pianoman41

Has anyone thought that this "4xxx" might be a 4040 or 4080 or 4160 or 4320? Which, by the way, came from the factory with a lifetime subscription, hence, no foul - just a great deal.
Here is the post (I believe) the original thread was based:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...21#post2120821

Of course, maybe he just thought it was a 4504 and it really was a 4040. I don't think the 4040s were ever available in stores.

While on the subject, he is not a theif. The post clearly stated that he called in to activate the unit and found that it was already activated. What is he going to do, give SB an extra $250. I believe most (if not all) people would say something like "cool, thanks" and put that money back in their pocket.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
If you buy a store model CD player and then when you get home you find a CD in the drive, would you say that you stole it and go running back to the store to return it?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman
If you buy a store model CD player and then when you get home you find a CD in the drive, would you say that you stole it and go running back to the store to return it?
No, but most people would go back and ask them if they had the jewel case for it....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually, the unit is not activated. It is set to Demo mode by SB for the stores to show off. If for any reason that unit has to be reset to Factory Defaults, it will no longer be in Demo mode and it will have to be activated. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We bought a display 4504 and it was in demo mode. We definitely had to pay activation. I figure his was either a return that didn't get activation removed, or a 4xxx.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
The store didn't pay for activation. Units canNOT be demo'd, they are provided with special demo units. Read the box on a new unit and you'll see a big notice to stores NOT to demo these units. This was likely a return that they hooked up to demo for sale.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Morality.. Did you get something that you were not entitled to receive? Does it matter who made the error that you are receiving something that you know that you should be paying for?

If I receive a pirated copy of a DVD that a friend rips, is it okay for me to have it even though I didn't "do anything" but receive what I shouldn't have gotten in the first place?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Consumer units can be demo'ed. In my 4532 I got from SB, it had clear instructions on how to enable demo mode.

As for the morality issue, I always looked at this away. It's not my responsibility to hand-hold companies. If a unit is in demo mode, it should not be the consumer's job to jump through hoops just to take the thing out of demo mode. It's a similar situation to moving into an apartment that still has the cable hooked up because the cable company forgot to send someone out when the previous tenant cancelled his service. It should not be considered stealing service, when I plug a TV into the wall and I get channels.

Ofcourse, the cable companies will look at this a different way, so this is just my opinion and has no legal basis. IMO though, even if it is illegal to run the SB unit in demo mode, you are not going to get caught so keep using it. The worst that could happen is SB figures out the unit is being used in demo mode by an individual and they will de-activate the unit, which should have been their responsibility in the first place.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
My point was worded poorly - a store activating demo mode doesn't amount to them spending $250 and activating it. Someone ELSE activated it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kcobra
IMO though, even if it is illegal to run the SB unit in demo mode, you are not going to get caught so keep using it. The worst that could happen is SB figures out the unit is being used in demo mode by an individual and they will de-activate the unit, which should have been their responsibility in the first place.
Demo mode (at least on our 4504) was nothing but a crippled menu of short clips and a fake channel guide. It's just a way to demo features of the Replay without having to hook it up to cable/phone, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by geekette
Demo mode (at least on our 4504) was nothing but a crippled menu of short clips and a fake channel guide. It's just a way to demo features of the Replay without having to hook it up to cable/phone, etc.
Yep, I got an Open box Demo unit from CC. When I got it home....it has a 'fake guide' and a few clips. Nothing real. I had to hit the internet and find out how to take it out of demo mode....when I did that....it looked liked it 'reformmated' from an image (that's what it seemed like it was doing)

After all the clicking and griding (about 5 minutes) it was a fresh 4504 with the right amount of hours and needed service activation in 10 days.

Jimmy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.