MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 138 Minutes
Genre: Drama/Musical

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MPEG-4 (AVC)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): Hindi Dolby TrueHD 5.1, English Descriptive 5.1
Subtitles: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Mandarin Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (UK), English (US), Finnish, French (Parisian), German, Greek, Hindi, Icelandic, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugual), Spanish (Castilian), Spanish (Latin Am), Swedish, Thai, Turkish
Starring: Ranbir Kapoor, Rani Mukherjee, Salman Khan
Directed by: Sanjay Leela Bhansali
Music by: Monty
Written by: Prakash Kapadia & Sanjay Leela Bhansali

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 6, 2008

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

Sony VPL-VW50 SXRD 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player

Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier

B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do we know if the movie was filmed in HD ? Both newcomers (main casts) in that movie are siblings of top rated actors - Rishi Kapoor and Anil Kapoor.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings,

I couldn't say for sure but my opinion is that is was. I edited your post removing the quote of the entire review. Hope you don't mind..

Cheers,

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift /forum/post/13848859

Do we know if the movie was filmed in HD ? Both newcomers (main casts) in that movie are siblings of top rated actors - Rishi Kapoor and Anil Kapoor.

I believe Rishi Kapoor and Anil Kapoor are the newcomers fathers.

BTW, thanks for the review Ralph!

·
Registered
380 Posts
My wife loves Bollywood movies and I got this for her for Mothers Day. The Picture Quality is reference, but the audio track will blow you away. I turned my stereo down 10 db from reference level and it still had some of the best bass I've heard. It definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you like musicals, subtitles, and sappy love stories, definitely worth viewing.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Ralph...

After reading your review I went ahead and bought it
. My wife is Indian so I couldn't refuse the opportunity to get the first Bollywood movie released on BD. Though entertaining, most Bollywood movies I've seen so far on SD DVD have sub par audio and video quality (especially when displayed on a 110" screen). This should be a positive move forward... hopefully this is only the first of many to be released on BD. Thanks! BTW, compared to pretty much every Bollywood movie I've seen, 138 minutes is very short... most are at least 180 minutes.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks Ralph!

After reading your review, I am interested in this movie. Without the review I would probably never even notice that it was out there.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
"Its release on Sony blu-ray will delight fans with its superfluous audio and video quality."

Ralph,

Excellent review. I do, however, believe that you meant to say that the audio and video quality was "superb." For us audio/videophiles, there is nothing superfluous about it. Keep the reviews coming.

- Esau

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg /forum/post/13860399

Oops
. How was the transfer? Was it a good movie?

From a novice standpoint, the audio and video of Saawariya was encoded much better. I believe the BD disc on Heyy Babyy was a single layer, however, it was a double layer on Saawariya - that itself explains how/why Saawariya had a better picture and sound.

Heyy Babyy was a Bollywood spinoff of a french movie, Trois hommes et un couffin (Three Men and a Cradle), later to be Three Men and a Baby staring Tom Selleck. Most of Heyy Babyy was based in Australia, and had some Bollywood humour embeded in it. I would give it a 7 out of 10 ranking.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 /forum/post/13860588

"Its release on Sony blu-ray will delight fans with its superfluous audio and video quality."

Ralph,

Excellent review. I do, however, believe that you meant to say that the audio and video quality was "superb." For us audio/videophiles, there is nothing superfluous about it. Keep the reviews coming.

- Esau

Greetings,

Yes I did....! (note the change
)

Cheers,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Audio is not in English.

I just saw the film last night on my 1080p projector. Video and audio quality were really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackeroo75 /forum/post/13865282

Is the audio in English?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 /forum/post/13860588

Ralph,

- Esau

I think "superlative" would work, too.

Doug

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecommando /forum/post/13869175

Audio is not in English ... snip

Incorrect. You do have the option to have the audio in english, however, it says it's English Descriptive.

You only hear two voices speaking in english, who narate the lyrics with no emotions - sort of in a rythmic monotonous tone. They, however, do give detail description of what actions the characters are performing. I'm thinking thats how the script for the movie was written.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Well... I got it in the mail today so we watched it tonight. Very different than the typical Bollywood film. The audio was fantastic and the video was very good. Rani looked good as always
. The thought of her as a prostitute makes the imagination wander...

Ralph: I think your take on the audio and video was spot on and I'm very glad I bought the Blu-Ray disk. I also noticed the black crush (as well as some grain in some of the darker scenes), but it took very little from the movie. One suggestion... you may want to add Sonam Kapoor to your list of actors since this film was the debut of both Sonam and Ranbir Kapoor.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts /forum/post/13848299

The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: > Sony Pictures/SLB Films - 2007
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 138 Minutes
Genre: Drama/Musical

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MPEG-4 (AVC)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): Hindi Dolby TrueHD 5.1, English Descriptive 5.1
Subtitles: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Mandarin Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (UK), English (US), Finnish, French (Parisian), German, Greek, Hindi, Icelandic, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugual), Spanish (Castilian), Spanish (Latin Am), Swedish, Thai, Turkish
Starring: Ranbir Kapoor, Rani Mukherjee, Salman Khan
Directed by: Sanjay Leela Bhansali
Music by: Monty
Written by: Prakash Kapadia & Sanjay Leela Bhansali

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 6, 2008

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

Sony VPL-VW50 SXRD 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player

Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier

B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph-

I very much enjoy your reviews and am interested in this movie. How come your comments and "my take" are not appearing? I believe you have reviewed this movie previously?

Thanks and keep up the GREAT work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts