AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Since the aspect ratio is incorrect anyway (on both DVD and Blu), it really doesn't matter. Should be 1.66:1 per Paramount policy at the time (although it was reported in a trade magazine review that it screened at 1.75:1).

2014 edit: correct theatrical & filmed ratio is 1.75, which the US Blu- ray gets right.

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete  /t/1421047/sabrina-1954#post_22234471

Since the aspect ratio is incorrect anyway (on both DVD and Blu), it really doesn't matter. Should be 1.66:1 per Paramount policy at the time (although it was reported in a trade magazine review that it screened at 1.75:1).

I was talking about the DNR, should have made that clearer

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't see any DNR. All the problems of the DVD are gone and there's a fine layer of grain.

The DVD was horrendously over-sharpened + contrast boosted giving the impression of more detail. The sharpness looks completely turned OFF on the Blu-ray, giving it a far more filmlike appearence.

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?art=magnify&x=459&y=296&action=1&image=5&cID=1170&cap1=12547&cap2=12539&lossless=#vergleich

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?art=magnify&x=480&y=304&action=1&image=2&cID=1170&cap1=12542&cap2=12534&lossless=#vergleich

Looks pretty good to me.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I watched it and am a bit confused. Is it DNRed? I'd say, no, or not much. But what confuses me is that it's at times so damn sharp looking (especially in the first half).

Which is not quite in sync with the overall look of the transfer or the grain texture and fine detail. I have a suspicion. I have no proof at all and I could very well be wrong.

But parts of it look like it has been Darbee processed at the source. It could not take my own Darbee processing without looking overprocessed. Hm....

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
A dvd even when cheating with EE should not have more detail then a BD and yet thats what is in the few caps-a-holic.com images like in the hair.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
The DVD has false detail/noise and different grading. I suspect it's overall an older transfer lacking full HD detail which has then been massaged with some grain processing and Darbee or other detail enhancement processing.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner  /t/1421047/sabrina-1954#post_22314646

The DVD has false detail/noise and different grading.

As do some BDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner  /t/1421047/sabrina-1954#post_22314646

I suspect it's overall an older transfer lacking full HD detail which has then been massaged with some grain processing and Darbee or other detail enhancement processing.

I think you maybe right about an old scan.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Actually, the European Sabrina is grain reduced as a comparison with the US version shows. It's also brighter and some detail enhancment has been applied. The US BD has a film look, the other one more of a digital video look.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner  /t/1421047/sabrina-1954#post_24653091

Actually, the European Sabrina is grain reduced as a comparison with the US version shows. It's also brighter and some detail enhancment has been applied. The US BD has a film look, the other one more of a digital video look.

You mean the Eu is brighter?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts