AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to make sure I understand the current issues with DVD-A and SACD concerning bass management and time alignment.

As far as I know, very few (if any) SACD or DVD-A players offer decent bass management and none offers time alignment. Is this statement correct?

The easy way around bass management is the ICBM-1, no big deal. But what about time alignment?

I'm looking right now at the Marantz DV8300 combo for $2k with some BM, but it'd be ok by me to pay $1k each or even a bit higher on separate DVD-A/SACD players if I could get any with BM and TA. Any such beast?

Alternatively, are there any pre/pros out there (regardless of price for now) that offer bass management and/or time alignment on the 5.1 analog inputs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Dennis,

The Denon 3800 has bass management, plus time alignment and is close to your stated budget (US$1200).

Regards,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,

Thanks for the info. Does it have the chroma bug like the 2800...?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
It is reported to have the bug.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Dennis, where did you find info regarding the Marantz 8300? I'm very interested in it. I have seen the Japanese website, but that's all I could find. Will the 8300 have the chroma bug as well?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Martin,

The Japanese website is the only place where I found some decent info on it. I can't answer your question directly, but the Marantz DVD players so far (BTW I own a DV-6200) use the Mediamatics chipset, which don't have the chroma bug.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Dennis,

It is my understanding that this is an OEM version of the Pioneer DV-47A, which has chroma bug.

Marantz is supposed to be doing extensive work on the analog stage following D/A conversion.

Regards,

·
Registered
499 Posts
Okay. I want good progressive video along with multichannel SACD. Any argument as to why I shouldn't buy the Philips 962SA? (Except, of course, the Philips 963SA, which may not be available in the US until late fall. Then again, regarding BM: while the 962SA is supposed to have some form of BM, the 963SA is touted to have "advanced" BM, whatever that means.)

The Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD player offers BM but no TA. The XA777ES is generally considered to be the best multichannel SACD player on the market right now.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Steve,

Methinks more people should hear the Marantz DV-12S1 player then!

Tres magnifique!

Regards,

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mr. Kotches,

Have you actualy seen the chroma bug on the 47A yourself? It's been reviewed by three different mags now, and they didn't mention anything about the chroma bug. I'm not trying to be funny or anything, I just want to know. Are you planning on reviewing the 47A anytime soon? I hope so.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John,

I'd get the 12S1 for sure weren't it so damn expensive... does it have any hint of BM or TA...?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Steve,

I have, and I do. The only catch is that the Marantz has no bass management. The ICBM offers more flexible bass management than the Sony offers anyway.

The Sony is a very good player, the Marantz is also, plus the Marantz can playback 24/96K PCM discs as well.

Regards,

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Ron,

Pioneer had the DV-47A at CES, Chroma bug was visible on the HD set they were running there.

I have no plans of reviewing the Pioneer DV-47A in the near future personally.

Regards,

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Ron,

As Stacey and Don have pointed out, the majority of people that review DVD players for the print magazines don't know their stuff.

Let me guess: "More film-like", "3D imaging", "Color Saturation" stuff like that.

They probably stuck in all the good discs and tested nothing known to be flawed.

Regards,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does either one of XA777ES or 12S1 have time alignment features?

·
Registered
499 Posts
The XA777ES does not support variable speaker delay. They suggest that the speakers be placed equidistant from the seating position. Problem solved, eh? ;) Perhaps the Philips 963SA with "advanced" SACD bass management will support variable speaker delay. Don't hold your breath, though -- you'll most likely turn blue and pass out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.