AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hope this isn't a stupid question, but if it is please be kind enough to answer. I'm currently using a Denon 1920 for my SACD and DVD-A playback. It's connected via multi channel analog to a Denon 3806 receiver. I've been looking at getting a new receiver to handle the new audio formats (like TrueHD) and increase the number of HDMI inputs. I've noticed that a lot of new receivers don't have multi channel analog inputs. If I buy a new receiver without multi channel inputs is there a multi format player (Blu ray, SACD, DVD-A) that transports all audio formats via HDMI?

I've read the Oppo BDP-83 specs and having a hard time figuring out its capabilities via HDMI.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
look for players with at least HDMI1.2a support (SACD capable)

the Oppo BDP-83 does

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
yes but theyre not cheap--the oppo bdp83 does, the new denon a1 does, the marantz 9004 does. the latter 2 downconvert dsd to 16 bit pcm over hdmi--not worth buying if not using analog imho, the oppo should make a great transport.

·
Registered
501 Posts
HDMI1.1 will do DVDA. Your 1920 will most likely do DVDA.

The new Oppo BDP-83 does Bluray, SACD and DVDA. It is probably your best bet unless you can afford the expensive Denon or Marantz ($4500 and $6000, respectively).

Whoopps! You beat me to it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I know your question was about HDMI, but since you brought up the possibility of getting a new receiver, it should be noted that the receivers that can decode the new audio codecs still have multichannel analog inputs.

Having said that, let me chime in on the Oppo BDP-83. Great universal player at a price that won't break the bank.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradandbree /forum/post/16964276

I know your question was about HDMI, but since you brought up the possibility of getting a new receiver, it should be noted that the receivers that can decode the new audio codecs still have multichannel analog inputs.

Having said that, let me chime in on the Oppo BDP-83. Great universal player at a price that won't break the bank.

Not necessarily true. All the new Onkyo's that have been released or anounced this year have dropped the multichannel analog inputs. Other brands are doing the same. It's a real bummer.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Yeah the Oppo is the only option at that price range, and since you would use it as a "transport", there is no real reason to spend more either.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies! My current inclination is to buy the Oppo and a new Onkyo HT-RC160 or 180 receiver. I actually think it's great to be able to reduce the amount of cabling in my system by not using the multichannel analog connections for SACD and DVD-A.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer /forum/post/16964765

Thanks for all the replies! My current inclination is to buy the Oppo and a new Onkyo HT-RC160 or 180 receiver. I actually think it's great to be able to reduce the amount of cabling in my system by not using the multichannel analog connections for SACD and DVD-A.

I have the Oppo 83. It's a great DVD and BR player. But for listening to music there's a problem. It has a cooling fan and when the internal temperature reaches a certain point, the fan comes on. The heat comes from the BluRay circuitry, and there's no way of switching it off when you're just listening to music.

So after the player has been on for a few hours, the fan comes on and it pretty much stays on.

I'm used to a CD player running silent. So for me the 83 is not a universal player, as it is promoted. Yes, it will play CDs, SACDs and DVD-As, but not without fan noise during quiet passages in the music. I have an Oppo 980 that I've kept for playing music discs.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/16965190

I have the Oppo 83. It's a great DVD and BR player. But for listening to music there's a problem. It has a cooling fan and when the internal temperature reaches a certain point, the fan comes on. The heat comes from the BluRay circuitry, and there's no way of switching it off when you're just listening to music.

So after the player has been on for a few hours, the fan comes on and it pretty much stays on.

I'm used to a CD player running silent. So for me the 83 is not a universal player, as it is promoted. Yes, it will play CDs, SACDs and DVD-As, but not without fan noise during quiet passages in the music. I have an Oppo 980 that I've kept for playing music discs.

???? I have yet to be disturbed by the fan in the BDP-83, in contrast to that in the Denon 3800! I have used the Oppo in 2 systems and, in one, the player sits about 5 feet from my right ear.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I also have the Oppo and concur with Kal and Sherbona.

To the OP, the Oppo is a terrific universal player and a huge bargain, you won't be disappointed!

To Peter White, there were a few owners on the Oppo thread that complained of fan noise so I don't doubt that you are experiencing the same thing. Some of it was attributed to placing the Oppo on top of heat generating components and or being in a very confined space. There were also one or two that contacted Oppo and exchanged their players and the issues were resolved. If you aren't affected by the first two possibilities that I mentioned, you might want to contact Oppo, they are very customer service orientated and I'm sure that they will do what ever they can to resolve your problem.

To the OP, another great reason to look at the Oppo...the best C.S.!

Cheers!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a Pioneer DV-48 which does sacd dsd and dvd-a over hdmi to my Denon 2809CI which can do sacd dsd decoding. It's a great combo especially for the price.

I got it several months ago during the Vanns $99 blow out

I believe the new model is the DV-49.

·
Registered
425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott /forum/post/16964498

Not necessarily true. All the new Onkyo's that have been released or anounced this year have dropped the multichannel analog inputs. Other brands are doing the same. It's a real bummer.

David, thanks for the correction. I haven't seen much about this year's AVR or pre/pro models, and didn't know that they are dropping the MCH inputs.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer /forum/post/16963150

Hi, I hope this isn't a stupid question, but if it is please be kind enough to answer. I'm currently using a Denon 1920 for my SACD and DVD-A playback. It's connected via multi channel analog to a Denon 3806 receiver. I've been looking at getting a new receiver to handle the new audio formats (like TrueHD) and increase the number of HDMI inputs. I've noticed that a lot of new receivers don't have multi channel analog inputs. If I buy a new receiver without multi channel inputs is there a multi format player (Blu ray, SACD, DVD-A) that transports all audio formats via HDMI?

I've read the Oppo BDP-83 specs and having a hard time figuring out its capabilities via HDMI.

The 1920 does DVD-A only (not even 2 channel SACD) over HDMI. I have one in my theater with a PS3 that does SACD, and leave the 1920 for DVD-A and pre-movie music.

I am thinking about that Pioner DV-48/49/58 for my other system since I have a BD player there already.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent /forum/post/16965363

I also have the Oppo and concur with Kal and Sherbona.

To the OP, the Oppo is a terrific universal player and a huge bargain, you won't be disappointed!

To Peter White, there were a few owners on the Oppo thread that complained of fan noise so I don't doubt that you are experiencing the same thing. Some of it was attributed to placing the Oppo on top of heat generating components and or being in a very confined space. There were also one or two that contacted Oppo and exchanged their players and the issues were resolved. If you aren't affected by the first two possibilities that I mentioned, you might want to contact Oppo, they are very customer service orientated and I'm sure that they will do what ever they can to resolve your problem.

To the OP, another great reason to look at the Oppo...the best C.S.!

Cheers!

My 83 is in an open rack, open on all sides, on it's own level, and the only significant heat source is above the 83 on its own rack. The room temperature is never above 70 degrees and usually at 68. I have spoken with Oppo customer service about the issue and they have told me point blank that it is normal for the fan to come on after a while, that the Blu-Ray video circuitry runs very hot, and there's nothing to be done about it.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/16969279

My 83 is in an open rack, open on all sides, on it's own level, and the only significant heat source is above the 83 on its own rack. The room temperature is never above 70 degrees and usually at 68. I have spoken with Oppo customer service about the issue and they have told me point blank that it is normal for the fan to come on after a while, that the Blu-Ray video circuitry runs very hot, and there's nothing to be done about it.

Hi Peter,

As mentioned, never doubted that you're hearing the fan and it sounds as though you've covered the bases. I guess some people are more attuned to hearing it than others...bummer!

Cheers!

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent /forum/post/16969528

Hi Peter,

As mentioned, never doubted that you're hearing the fan and it sounds as though you've covered the bases. I guess some people are more attuned to hearing it than others...bummer!

Cheers!

It's annoying to me that Oppo would sell it without mentioning the fan noise. I was planning on putting the Oppo 980 I already had in another room. But I'm keeping it in the main room to play music.

The real bummer will be if Blu-Ray audio takes off. Not sure what I'll do then.

·
Registered
22,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/16969554

It's annoying to me that Oppo would sell it without mentioning the fan noise. .

less than 1% of users of this player have ever heard the fan. I've had 3 different players and have never heard the fan. That said, the existence of the cooling fan is hardly a secret, it's clearly visible in the photos provided by Oppo and it's mentioned in the manual. Oppo spent a huge amount of time and money developing the cooling, (even tried running no fan), and settled on the thermal control as the least intrusive of the options. If your fan is coming on, it's because the internal temp has reached 125'F.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso /forum/post/16967085

The 1920 does DVD-A only (not even 2 channel SACD) over HDMI. I have one in my theater with a PS3 that does SACD and DVD-A.

I am thinking about that Pioner DV-48/49 for my other system since I have a BD player there already.

Your PS3 is NOT playing back the lossless DVD-A tracks, just so you know. It is playing back the DD/DTS tracks that are included on the disc. No Sony disc playback product is compatible with the DVD-A format itself.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.