AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here

SACD & DVD-Audio Software Recommendations and Reviews

13693 Views 215 Replies 46 Participants Last post by  Trummy Ray
I am starting to build my SACD and DVD- Audio collection but I find it difficult to select which ones are good and recommended. Once in while I read few titles being recommended by posters here and that's good because prospective buyers at least have some guide on what to expect.

I would like the help of others who have started buying SACDs and DVD-Audios what they recommended buying and what they recommend avoiding. If posters can add a mini review about a particular disc, that would be great and the thread would be a perfect guide to SACD and DVD-Audio Disc currently available in the market.

I have just been perusing the list of available titles in both formats in Acoustic Sounds.com and it is somewhat overwhelming because not only are there more than 2K titles available in both formats, I also don't know most of the artists. So a little help from other buyers would be great.

Thanks
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 216 Posts
This site has a lot of reviews,

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/index.asp

DVD-Audio, SACD - High Fidelity Review - News, Reviews

And Stereophile has lots of reviews also,

http://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/

Stereophile: Music in the Round

Jim
See less See more
I have read those and from other sites. The high fidelity review is a painfully slow site.

Anyways, If somebody ask you to recommend your Top 10 SACD and Top 10 DVD-Audio in terms of sound quality, what would those be and why do you like them? In can be in any genre.

Let's have it all here.
Quote:
Originally posted by jarednoah
I have read those and from other sites. The high fidelity review is a painfully slow site.

Anyways, If somebody ask you to recommend your Top 10 SACD and Top 10 DVD-Audio in terms of sound quality, what would those be and why do you like them? In can be in any genre.

Let's have it all here.
Sound quality...stereo...multi-channel...DSD, DTS, MLP, ect. Clearly a broad topic. If you strictly want the best recorded hi-rez discs you be looking at alot of Sack-Dees from Telarc, Eighty Eights, DMP, and other hi-end labels that have actually bothered to record sessions in DSD. Oh, Sony did Jorma Kaukonen's BLUE COUNTRY HEART in pure DSD and totally awesome. I quess they wouldn't want the public to develope high expectations?

The "big 4" refuse to create much in the way of truly spectacular, NEW recordings.

However, the YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS DVD-A by The Flaming Lips is big run. DARK SIDE OF THE MOON by the Pink Floyds on SA-CD is mandatory.

sum auf mi favourites:

Will & Rainbow on SACD

Alan Parsons Project I ROBOT on HDVD

Spyra Gyro IN MODERN TIMES SA-CD

Zombies GREATEST HITS SA-CD

Manfredo Fest's JUST JOBIM SA-CD

Ana Caram BLUE BOSSA SA-CD

Paul Weller STUDIO 150 SA-CD

Aimee Mann LOST IN SPACE SA-CD

Neil Young HAWKS AND DOVES DVD-A

Monty Alexander MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE SA-CD

Joe Satriani STRANGE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC SACD
See less See more
I don't have all of the above, but the ones I do I would agree they are very good.

Dr. Chesky's Magnificent, Fabulous, Absurd and Insane Musical 5.1 Show is a lot of fun.-SACD

Avalon by Roxy Music-SACD

Telarc's 1812 Overture is a DSD recording-SACD

How The West Was Won-Led Zeppelin-DVD-A-Not great, but it's very listen-able considering with these formats there is not a lot to choose from.

Flamenco A Go Go-Steve Stevens-DVD-A-Has an MLP version.

Some of the SACD 2ch stuff is good too.

Jim
See less See more
Check out

Eric Clapton and BB King... "Riding with the King"...

Steely Dan's "Everything Must Go".. and "Two Against Nature"..

Robert Cray "Time Will Tell"

David Sanborn "TimeAgain"

Anything Sting... All his DVD A's are mixed and recorded with skill

Donald Fagan's Stuff..

The above titles I find myself listening to again and again.. I think you might like them
See less See more
I personally like Diana Krall "girl in the other room" the look of love", Norah Jones "come away with me, bucky pizzarelli "swing live", Jazz at the pawnshop and Peter White "Glow". These SACDs are my favorites. Compared to their CD versions, the SACDs is much more pleasant and livelier to listen to.

What other smooth jazz SACDs and DVD-As others recommend?
Quote:
Originally posted by jarednoah
What other smooth jazz SACDs and DVD-As others recommend?
Anthony Wilson Trio OUR GANG

Aaron Neville NATURE BOY

Will & Rainbow's HARMONY which features Phoebe Snow on 3 cuts and OVER CRYSTAL GREEN that's all instrumental

Pieces Of A Dream LOVE'S SILHOUETTE & NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED

Marlena Shaw LOOKIN' FOR LOVE

Spyro Gyra IN MODERN TIMES & ORIGINAL CINEMA

Doc Powell's 97th AND COLUMBUS

Greta Matassa LIVE AT TULA'S

Vivino Brothers BLUES BAND

Christy Baron STEPPIN' & RETROSPECTIVE

Dave's True Story UNAUTHORIZED...I really like this one!

Tierney Sutton SOMETHING COOL

Jacintha JACINTHA IS HER NAME & AUTUMN LEAVES

Highnote Records has 2 sampler SA-CD's called KINDA JAZZY KINDA FUNKY & JAZZ IN AN R & B GROOVE. These sound just like what you want.
See less See more
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachael Bellomy

sum auf mi favourites:

Will & Rainbow on SACD

Alan Parsons Project I ROBOT on HDVD

Spyra Gyro IN MODERN TIMES SA-CD

Zombies GREATEST HITS SA-CD

Manfredo Fest's JUST JOBIM SA-CD

Ana Caram BLUE BOSSA SA-CD

Paul Weller STUDIO 150 SA-CD

Aimee Mann LOST IN SPACE SA-CD

Neil Young HAWKS AND DOVES DVD-A

Monty Alexander MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE SA-CD

Joe Satriani STRANGE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC SACD
holy cow. anyone want to know why these formats are stillborn? just take a look at this list. i don't want to date myself, but i have not heard of a single person/band on this list. I don't want to start a war here, but how the hell can anyone expect people to adopt a new audio format unless there's actually popular software to buy? is there not a single album from the billboard top 100 on either dvda or sacd?
See less See more
Quote:
Originally posted by talbain
holy cow. anyone want to know why these formats are stillborn? just take a look at this list. i don't want to date myself, but i have not heard of a single person/band on this list. I don't want to start a war here, but how the hell can anyone expect people to adopt a new audio format unless there's actually popular software to buy? is there not a single album from the billboard top 100 on either dvda or sacd?
The list is not exhaustive. Just a few of her favorites. The performers may not be popular to the casual listener but that doesn't mean they are not actually good. You could not get me to buy a cd of Britney Spears and yet she is very popular and everyone know her...(apologies to BS fans)

Head over to acousticsounds.com. Although the number of choices there is not as huge as CDs, it still is worth choosing from. I have to agree though that popular music is not very common in SACD and DVD-A format. Most of what you can find there are classical, jazz and some rock selections.

The formats are not stillborn. Others will disagree with you but definitely not stillborn. I can never go back buying regular CD when one can buy an SACD version of a particular album for the same price. The sound quality is just amazing when played with a decent equipment.
See less See more
Quote:
Originally posted by talbain
...not even Neil Young!:eek: Haven't you been rockin' in the free world? They're not all, all that unknown. Thank the big 4 for the limited selection. Universal is the only one amongst them with much intrest in SA-CD's of bleeding new releases. Warner and Sony have made themselves look rediculous with their so-called format tussel.

Words that come to mind when thinking about Warner's release schedule: anemic, withering, absent, delayed, deferred, canceled, expensive, pricey, rare, special-order, golden, oldie, moldy, revival, and lost. When they actually release stuff they're generally prurr-dy excellent.

Sony has acted schizo with SACD. Most of the Warner adjectives apply to them too. They have actually recorded a few new albums in DSD, a few years back....now they let their own format flounder because they can't get their way in a publishing dispute. Sony acts like they're on hold because of Dualdisc, maybe? If Dualdisc takes off, Sony will proably quit their own format...? Dualdisc proably will not do much more than DVD-A did, maybe incrementally more, IMO?

The industry has tied itself in knot by giving formats and TOTALLY not suppourting them! Format roulette is getting old! Majors using hi-rez to repackage old music, ONE MORE TIME, is getting monotonious. The new has been greatly ignored. Maybe the others will follow Uni's lead and we-lease sum???

You hit on a truth there with your statement about Billboard. You can't run formats that ignore it! However, you really should broaden your musical scope a bit if you don't know of Neil Young at very least, me thinks. ;) :)
See less See more
lol well at least i have heard of that rockin in the free world song. never knew it was that guy. anyway, my point is, it seems these studios are completely ignoring the segment of the population that ought to be the main target of these formats. give college teens enough reason to invest and just maybe they'd slow down on the file sharing. i was looking to buy a player and searched for popular music on either format. I got a ton of classical music (cool enough), lots of (to me) obscure stuff like the ones you mentioned, and a pitiful handful of stuff I've actually heard of. Celine Dion, old Michael Jackson, the Bangles, one Metallica dvda, etc. it seems like breadcrumbs. Remember when DVD launched? I recall it clearly. You could buy Batman. Mortal Kombat. Eraser. certainly not classics, but cool enough to draw kids in and make it a must have item. this is what these formats are seriously lacking.
Quote:
completely ignoring the segment of the population that ought to be the main target of these formats.
Not many "teens" have multi-channel audio set-ups, or even receivers with multi-channel audio inputs, and definately not the cash to afford specialized disc players and more expensive discs.

Quote:
not a single album from the billboard top 100
Most of those, if not all, are not recorded "well" enough for the format. They are produced and mixed for the "FM radio" medium, the "auto" medium (car DVD players), and the "portable" medium (MP3s). I find that the discs cant hold up on a decent home system, as their flaws readily stand out . The studios/labels would need to spend a lot more money (quality equipment & quality producers) during the recording sessions just to please the "home audio enthusiast".

[SACD/DVDA is not available via radio, portible devices, computers, and automobiles (teens dont drive Acura TLs)]

Quote:
slow down on the file sharing
Synonymous with cheap/free music and lossy compression codecs. Not exactly the market for uncopyable, high price, high resolution audio.
See less See more
Boomer music is low-hanging fruit for the studios. We're used to paying for music, and we have the cash to do it.

Some of it's even pretty good music. :)

Mojo
In no particular order:

Beck "Sea Change" - SACD

David Bowie "Scary Monsters" - SACD

Police "Every Breath You Take" - SACD

Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" - SACD

Bjork "Vespertine" - DVDA

Bjork "Medulla" - DVDA

Soon to own

The Who "Tommy" - DVDA

NIN "The Downward Spiral" - DVDA
See less See more
As a boomer I have to agree with talbain on this one.If Hi-Res is marketed mainly for only those of us who are older and have already invested heavily in audio,it will die.The same arguement could be made for dvd when it came out-that most people didn't have the M/C systems or big enough tvs to truely appreciate the advantages it had over vcrs.But the companies put out a large amount of content at a reasonable price while constantly improving the hardware and before long the days of video tape were gone.And people improved their audio and video systems because of dvd-hence the growth of HTIB and the increased popularity of hd tvs.If sacd/dvd-a is going to ever take off there has to be a wider and more diverse supply of software.
Quote:
Originally posted by lonwolf615
If sacd/dvd-a is going to ever take off there has to be a wider and more diverse supply of software.
And inexpensive hardware to play it, Denon abandoning Hi-Res in their budget players doesn't help.

Jim
Quote:
Originally posted by keenan
And inexpensive hardware to play it, Denon abandoning Hi-Res in their budget players doesn't help.

Jim
it already exists. there's a toshiba universal dvda/sacd changer in best buy for $130. tons of bugs though, but that's a topic for a different forum
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kramer
Not many "teens" have multi-channel audio set-ups, or even receivers with multi-channel audio inputs, and definately not the cash to afford specialized disc players and more expensive discs.
you'd be shocked at what you find in dorms these days. multi channel pc systems with a/v connections are widespread. also, like i said in my previous post, these "specialized" disc players can be had for close to $100. the discs are the same price as regular cd's, maybe $5 more. your points are ill founded
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kramer

True that teens (10-17) probably won't have their own multi-channel setup. But their dads and moms who are into HT would have. It's a great tool for bonding.

Meanwhile, the young adults (18-24) can easily get a simple, low-to-mid end surround setup for a song nowadays. It's not that hard. They may not get the most subtle of audio performance from their budget gear but it is still miles better than CD.

Quote:

Most of those, if not all, are not recorded "well" enough for the format. They are produced and mixed for the "FM radio" medium, the "auto" medium (car DVD players), and the "portable" medium (MP3s). I find that the discs cant hold up on a decent home system, as their flaws readily stand out . The studios/labels would need to spend a lot more money (quality equipment & quality producers) during the recording sessions just to please the "home audio enthusiast".

This is just being an elitist. This is precisely why I stay away from audiophile albums - impeccably produced but music I wouldn't wanna pay to listen to.

Music is music. If it's good, it's good. Granted that those recorded on the home studio at 20/16 bit won't get a audio boost when converted to SACD/DVD-A, many more are recorded at studios with high quality equipment and more than enabled producers. Take for instance Hanson's Middle Of Nowhere album. That album was produced by The Dust Brothers who also produced the soundtrack of Fight Club. MMMBop indeed!

Quote:

[SACD/DVDA is not available via radio, portible devices, computers, and automobiles (teens dont drive Acura TLs)

Another elitist comment. I'm sure there are millionaire kids driving better cars than the Acura.

So what if you can't get SACD/DVDA quality on radio and portable devices? The point is that you only listen to high res audio is when you sit down and enjoy it at your own leisurely pace. By releasing Billboard Top40 albums on SACD/DVDA ensures that the albums are enjoyed on both portable devices and radio (low res) and at home (high res).

Are you saying that before the CD was released, you listened to Blood, Sweat & Tears in your VW van with Mackintosh audio equipment for that extra kick?

Quote:

Synonymous with cheap/free music and lossy compression codecs. Not exactly the market for uncopyable, high price, high resolution audio.
Let's agree that only low res audio (CD) are easily ripped into a lower res audio (MP3/AUF/OGG). High res (stereo and multi-channel) are not easily ripped or shared.

High price for SACD/DVDA huh? Norah Jone's Come Away With Me and Roxy Music's Avalon are US$14.99 on Amazon.com. At Acoustic Sounds.com, Ultimate Mancini and Sheryl Crowe's The Globe Sessions are sold at US$17.99. Not as cheap as CDs but these are Hybrid Multichannel SACDs. Better bang for their buck.

fuad
See less See more
1 - 20 of 216 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.