AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of speakers that would be good for SACD or DVD-Audio for under $1000?

I've been considering:

Velodyne Deco

Polk Audio RM 6005 and RM 6700

I'm not expecting to get full bass down to 20Hz for this price, but I'm looking for something that will deliver without breaking my budget.

Setup:

HK AVR 525

Panasonic DVD (w/DVD-Audio)

Any suggestions or guidance?

Thanks.

·
Registered
859 Posts
How do you mean to play High Res Audio? 2 channel or Multichannel?

ie are you looking for a pair of listening speakers, or a set of 5 + sub set?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking for a set of 5 satellites + sub to listen to 5.1 DVD-Audio/SACD or multichannel (I think--I'm a little on the new side to this, but interested).

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Five Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's and a Hsu VTF-2.

About $1250 shipped. For the price, I do not think you will find better for music. You could substitute an Adire Rava for the VTF-2, or the new Hsu STF series and save a few more dollars.

Over your budget...but worth it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow--those are some NICE speakers you recommended. I'm rather unfamiliar with them, is there somewhere where I can audition them?

I listened to the Polk RM 6005, 6700 and 7200 for quite a while last night at Circuit City. I found the only set good enough for music was the 7200.

I wanted to audition the velodyne deco system; however, they don't have any to which I could listen.

I really want to listen before I buy anything--I've already made that mistake! And, I want to keep the size down because I live in an apartment--I know that limits my choices.

Anyway, I liked the Polk RM7200 enough--is there any reason I should stay away from those? They sounded great to me.

Thanks so much...

·
Registered
404 Posts
next step is to take them home and listen .

hope you like them.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
For SACD/DVD-A Hi-resolution playback, you'll want speakers that can handle such detailed material. I don't think most satellite systems can handle such a demand.

First, you'll need to make sure your Universal player has bass management capability, so that you can send the lower frequencies to your sub. Next you'll need to make sure that your satellites can play at a low enough frequency without being distorted. The cross-over point between your satellites and the subwoofer needs to have substantial padding to ensure smooth transitions.

The Velodyne's specs will take it out of the running. Its satellites' frequency response is listed at 110-20khz, while its sub has a cross-over points of 40-120 hz. The 10 hz padding is way too small. I doubt that these speakers can play very low without distortion.

The Polks are nice, but I wasn't impressed with them when I demoed them at CC. Maybe it was the CC setup, I don't know. They optimistically list their freq resp. at 28-20khz. There's no way they can play any where close to 28hz without distorting. Many good towers can't even boast that 28 hz figure.

The Ascends and ELTs list their figures at a more realistic (74-20khz, +/-2dB; and 65-20 khz, +/-3dB), respectively. The Hsu sub is very well-respected and provide the best value out of all the subs listed here. The ELT's sub is not too far behind. Both Ascend and AV123 are reputable companies, and you can be assured that you are getting the best value for your money, not only because they are quality product and great customer service, but because they don't have a middle-man distributor that adds to the cost of the product. Try asking about frequency responses at your local CC and the sales guy will likely have no clue what you are talking about :)

But all those numbers above don't mean a thing if the speakers don't sound good to you. Best way to make sure you are happy is to take advantage of the x-day return policy offered by each company. Order a pair from Ascend and AV123 and compare them to the Polks. See how you like each and return the 2 you don't like. You'll only be out like $30-40 for the return shipping, but it's well worth the price of the demo. You might ask the Ascend/AV123 reps for a demo deal. That is, purchase two speakers separately for demo purchases right now. If you like them, order the rest under a packaged deal, since they'll cost you more individually if you choose to order more later.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Oh yea, one more thing. As far as auditioning (aside from the purchasing thing I mentioned above), go to Audioenvy to sign up for ELT owners close to where you live. I don't think Ascend is listed on Audioenvy, so you might visit their forum and request one. You can do the same with the ELT at the AV123 forum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the great tips Nhan. I'm torn between just getting something I really like, that is small, and doing more research and going that much longer without a complete system.

Now I've got everything but the speakers (I had some Sony 445 "Extended Response" from Best Buy, but I didn't care for them, nor my horrible exprience with Best Buy). So, you see, I was all set, and now I'm not and it's consuming me--I just have to make a decision.

The Polk RM7200's manual says the sats are 90Hz-23kHz, center is 80Hz-23kHz, and the sub is 26Hz-200Hz. I think that will be good enough for a few years... then I'll either be deaf or a new technology will force me to replace everything anyway.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hey, you're very welcome, Lukester. Just wanted to pass on info I've learn from this and a couple of other forums because of the likes of the good folks who've replied to this thread. I got the Polks' specs from Amazon and Polk's website.

I don't think you should rush into your decision until you are certain that you'll like what you're getting and are getting the best for your money. Afterall, two years is a long time :)

Anyways, if you're set on getting the Polks, I hope you get the most out of them. Good luck and do let us know how they work out for you.

--Nhan

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
lukester,

Be careful about reading the "specs". Many companies post misleading frequency response specs to make their speaker look good on paper. Some do list specs as measured by a third party, those will be more honest.

In the end, your ears should be the judges.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
also,

just because a sub's specs say it can go as high as 120+ hz doesnt mean much coz setting such a high crossover frequency might not give the best results sound wise. Sure, it differs from room to room but the crossover is usually kept much much lower.

i personally feel NOTHING beats floorstanders [for real MIDBASS], but in your case, nice big bookshelves like the ascends would be the next best thing.

hope this helps,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cschang and F355--I hear you on the specs thing--the very reason I returned those inexpensive Sonys. I got exactly what I paid for--but, I sure didn't get what was advertised. And, try getting decent specs from Sony's website--it wasn't until I opened the box that I was able to see the actual specs. I still set them up, listened to them, hated them and returned them within a week.

After that, I listened to a variety of speakers within my price range--barely--and I chose much more carefully. It was a tough decision to make, but I've ordered the Polk RM7200. I really liked them the best out of what I was auditioning, what I was lookng for size-wise/pricewise, and within my desired time-frame.

I thought I might be happy with some of the more inexpensive packages, but I liked these best for both movies and music--which is important to me.

I'm supposed to get them on Thursday--I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks to all of you, I listen with a much more critical ear.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lukester
........within my price range--barely--.........
Aren't budgets a pain??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I've had the Polk RM7200 system set up for about 5 days. I got a great deal on them from www.electrodude.com --shipped to me for under 1k.

So far, I am really pleased! I've watched a few movies and they are great for that. And, I've had time to listen to some music dvds in 5.1. I haven't found any dvd-audio titles I really want, so I don't know about those yet, but I imagine that the 5.1 selections on my bjork volumen dvd are a fair test. And, cds sound great--the HK AVR525 has some cool listening modes I'm still playing with since I'd been without speakers for almost a month.

I got the titanium finish, and they look ssssslick! For my apartment, they are perfectly sized--I really couldn't go any bigger, though the Ascends and Rocket ELT were quite tempting...

Here's the review I posted on circuitcity.com:

:. just do it .:

Wow! What a difference! I started out with a cheap HT system from sony--which I returned because I was so dissatisfied. After that, I took my time and did a lot of research. I was looking at the Polk RM6005 and RM6700 among others, but after auditioning all of the HT speaker sets, these sounded the best to me for both movies and music. The other Polk sets, Bose, Onkyo, HK, etc. were ok... but none were as good as the Polk RM7200. I had to get them despite the strain on my budget--a little more than I wanted to spend.

I've got the system hooked up with 12 awg soundking wire to my HK AVR 525 and they are incredible!

The soundfield is very well blended and matched. The center provides crisp and precise dialogue, but not caterwauling. The satellites are fantastic for their size and frequency response rate--if you want more, you're going to have to go bigger, bulkier and shell out more money. And, lastly, the PSW550 sub shakes the room with a clean and musical bass. And, you can use the LFE unfiltered input with the sub out on your receiver and manage your bass through the receiver or hook up the sub to a filtered input if you don't have bass management.

I got the 'titanium' finish--it looks so slick, yet doesn't overwhelm (the sub is black).

So, there's your update :)

Thanks, once again, for your help and encouragement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.