AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a hybrid SACD disc last week. When I tried to play that in My Camelot Roundtable DVD/CD player, it won't read. It showed error message.

HOWEVER, when I tried the disc in my Sony DVP-s7700, it played without any hassle.

Does anyone ever encounter such problems?

I am affraid to buy more hybrid CDs now... because most of the company will not accept any return after you open the package

thanks

Mario

·
Registered
842 Posts
It would help to know exactly what the sacd title you are talking about.

I have personally returned 4 cheskys that would not play the sacd layer,

and 3 other hybrid disks that would not play the cd layer.

But it is not just hybrid disk that have problems, in the last 6 months

i have run across 2 different cd's that would not play in any of my

high end players(3), but would play on a d-ej01.

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
It seems a lot of dvd players can't read the cd layer of a SACD. My old Pioneer dvd player could not. I don't think you will have the problem with a cd only player. Even a car cd player will play most hybrid SACDs. Before I bought my current DVD player, I checked with the manufacturer to make sure it could read the CD layer of an SACD.

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
If the disk was defective, it would not have played in either of your units. The fact that one could read it tells me that it is a player issue. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can tell you exactly what is going on. I know it has something to do with the nature of the lazer being used. When hybrid layer SACD's first started coming to market, there was quite a bit of discussion on www.audioasylum.com about why most cd player could read the disk while a lot of DVD player could not. You may want to check there and do a search in the hi-rez section.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI Kevin,

The hybrid sacd that I bought, is the Jazz In the Pawnshop, it is released by FIM (First Impression Music)

http://www.fimpression.com/.

I want to buy a few Chesky SACD Hybrid CDs, but after reading this .. I dare not do that.

SACDs has created more hassle in buying them.

MT

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
I have a few Chesky SACD and have not had a problem with playing them on my DVD player. I recently sold all of my single layer SACD and gave one of my students his SACD player back because I agree SACD is a hassle. I'm tired of the limited selection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.