AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased the Elite dv47ai and bought quite a few DVD-Audio Discs and also some SACD's. I have had no issues with the DVD-Audio's but I have a question about one of the SACD's that I bought.

The SACD in question is Rolling Stones "Beggars Banquet" hybrid cd. I cannot get it to play multi channel. It only plays out the right front and left front speakers. Is this due to the SACD being a hybrid? meaning you can play it on a normal cd player or an SACD player on the two level CD? or is there something I am missing here. I can go into the setup and tell the player that the cd is multi channel SACD but when I play the Stones SACD it switches back to 2 channel. All other SACD's I play work great out all 5 speakers plus the subwoofer but I cannot get this Stones one to play correctly. I was thinking of purchaing the others Stones SACD hybrids but not if they only play in 2 channel stereo. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
737 Posts
As far as I know, SACDs are both stereo and multichannel. In that case, the Rollin' Stones SACD is only stereo. I guess one thing you can do is turn on Pro Logic 2, or just regular Pro Logic, and have it make any Out of Phase information into 2 channel. I'd like to be able to do that if I ever go with SACD. Chances are, that Rollin' Stones SACD is a 2 channel disc. Don't expect 5.1 from everything.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Keith,

The RS SACD releases are all two-channel only. The hybrid layer of the disc is orthogonal to the multi-channel layer, meaning it doesn't matter if it has a hybrid layer whether it will also have a multi-channel layer.

For example, many dmp, Telarc, and other discs have a hybrid CD layer, 2-channel SACD layer, and a multichannel layer.

--Andre

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you are playing thru the i-link that is the only bad thing about the 47Ai/49TXi combo.

2-channel SACD's CANNOT be played thru any but the front 2 speakers.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think two channel is good. I just don't feel comfortable with instruments behind my head. Ambience? maybe, depends, but instruments certainly not!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well, with music behind your head, you start getting the studios monkeying with the music. They create a false panning effect, etc. and that's not good for anyone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I for one enjoy multichannel music. I have multichannel SACDs and DVD music concerts in 5.1. If you are a listener that needs to visualize a soundstage in front of you, multichannel is not for you. Multichannel can be very exciting, it allows for creativity. Can hardly wait for Darkside of the Moon in multichannel SACD. I suppose when there was mono and stereo was introduced, some couldn't understand the need or desire to listen to stereo.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have both 2ch and multichannel SACDs and enjoy both. Dave Brubeck's Time Out in multichannel is a reference disk -- it makes good use of the surrounds and doesn't sound gimmicky. I also like Ryan Adam's Gold in multichannel.

But the bottom line for me with SACD is the amazing improvement over Redbook CD, esp. in terms of transients and tonal qualities. You can actually hear the reed buzzing and the pads clicking during sax solos, and on cymbals, you can hear both the initial strike and the reverberation. This is true in both stereo and mulitchannel.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You should only listen in multichannel if it was actually RECORDED in multicahnnel.

Just the same as stereo mono issue!!

Do not listen to electronically made stereo. Sounds rotten. Mono much better. But recorded in stereo (well recorded that is , not ping pong) stereo is better.

Same goes for multichannel. No electronically beefed up stereo take in multichannel. But recorded in multichannel (and well recorded that is again) this is yet another step (besides the MUCH better sound from SACD vs. CD) toward recreating the actual musical event in your room.

Koldby

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was able to play Multi-channel SACD from my 47Ai to 49TXi receiver using iLink by setting the SACD output mode to multi-channel from the default of stereo. This is in the 47Ai settings menu somewhere. It took me a while to find this, but it worked. You still need Multi-channel source material.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.